WWRFC crushes WPI in Worcester

The Williams Women’s Rugby Football Club (WWRFC) traveled two hours to Worcester on a blistering cold Saturday morning. Having feasted on a practice snack of mosquitoes a few days before, the ruggers could barely believe that the temperature had shifted from bug infested to frost covered.

Shrugging off the environmental conditions, the WWRFC huddled together before kick-off to remind itself its feelings last weekend when the team lost 19-17. Chanting, “19-17, HAOOO!” the WWRFC started the game with a fervor unlike any other. After punching and rucking the ball within WPI’s 22-yard line for the first 10 minutes, eight-man Tatiana Fernandez ’11 broke through WPI’s defensive line to score the first try of the game. The floodgates now opened, the White Dawgs continued their scientifically proven formula of punching, setting and rucking over to keep the momentum moving.

Throughout the first half, Xio Pinto ’12 and Colleen Fitzpatrick ’12 were stellar in shoving exhausted WPI ruggers out of rucks. As Xio, Colleen and the other scrummies continued to punch through the pitch, various linies took advantage of their hard work. Brittany Baker ’10 and Hannah Rosenthal ’10 each scored two tries apiece and Sarah Franklin ’10 and Cat Vielma ’10 had one try each. Fernandez capped a strong day at eight-man with her first hat trick, all claimed during 20-yard punches up the pitch. Franklin and Steph Brooks ’10 capped the tries with three conversions, making the final score 51-0. “I get knocked down, but I get up again,” Brooks said. “You’re never gonna keep me down. I get knocked down, (we’ll be singing) but I get up again. You’re never gonna keep me down (when we’re winning).”

This week the WWRFC will praise the rugby goddesses as the women prepare for a showdown against Norwich.