Women’s soccer earns 1st road victory vs. Colby

wsocWomen’s soccer (7-0, 3-0 in the NESCAC) continued its flawless season with its first road victory last Saturday against Colby (0-2-1) 3-0. The victory followed a 3-0 win over SUNY Plattsburgh (3-1) on Wednesday.

While nationally third-ranked Williams trounced unranked Colby 3-0 Saturday, the win was hard earned: The Mules held the Ephs scoreless until partway through the second half. The strong Williams offensive – with 27 attempted shots – just could not score on Colby’s Loni Pisani, who had 16 saves. Finally, tri-captain Sarah Walmsley ’10 scored the first goal of the game, assisted by Annelise Snyder ’11, just before the 66th minute. Walmsley’s goal opened the floodgates: a second goal for Walmsley – assisted by Tyler Rainer ’11 – followed quickly five minutes later. Sachi Siegleman ’12, assisted by Chloe Kuh ’13, scored again to bring the score to 3-0 in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Just as impressive as the Ephs’ offense was their defense: starting goalkeeper Julia Schreiber ’11 played her first full game of the season and made eight saves to shuout the Mules.

Tri-captain Kara Duggan ’11 recognized the importance of the Ephs’ first win on the road. “We wanted to prove that we could still score a lot from the road, and we did so that was really exciting for us,” she said.
Williams’ offense, which had scored 27 goals in six games going into the Colby contest, has been drawing a lot of attention from teams around the league. “A lot of teams are really packing it in the back trying to stop our offense, so we had to kind of figure out a different way to [score],” Duggan said. “We were patient, and it came together in the second half and we hammered three goals in.”

Before the Colby win, Williams defeated SUNY Plattsburgh 3-0 on Wednesday. Williams was effectively able to neutralize what should have been a competitive opponent early on in the game. Plattsburgh came into Wednesday’s game ranked No. 17 in the country without having allowed any opponents a goal, but the Ephs quickly changed that. Wild scored the first goal 10 minutes into regulation off of a free kick after Brett Eisenhart ’12 was fouled just outside of the 18-yard box.

While the Ephs only had eight shots in the first half, they stepped up their offensive game with 19 shots on goal in the second half. As in the past few games, the Cardinals’ offense was just no match for the Ephs’ defense as goalkeepers Schreiber and Lauren Sinnenberg ’10 only had to make three saves the entire game.

The Cardinals were able to hold the Ephs back until the 75-minute mark, when Snyder scored the Ephs’ second goal of the game. Within three minutes Snyder had scored again, bringing the score to 3-0. Sam Vilboa ’13 assisted Snyder on both goals.

Williams will travel to No. 16 Amherst (4-1-0, 3-0) for a 1:30 p.m. game on Saturday. The women have a whole week of crucial, uninterrupted practice in preparation for the Amherst game on Saturday. “We really just have to push each other in practice to get ready [because Amherst] is going to be the best team we’ve seen so far [this season],” Duggan said.