Women’s golf finishes 3rd

Women’s golf performed well last weekend to take third place at the Mount Holyoke Invitational. Competing against 13 other teams, the team placed only behind St. Lawrence and Amherst after jumping up a spot from its Day One finish.

The Ephs as a whole played well on Saturday and ended the day just four strokes behind Fairfield in fourth place. Mary Gelber ’10 and Kristen Tubbs ’12 showed particularly strongly on Day One, shooting an 83 and 84 respectively, while Victoria Student ’13 shot an 85 for the Ephs. Anne O’Leary ’10, however, was in top form. Hitting a majority of her fairways and greens, she shot an eight over par 80 on the day, putting herself in contention for the tournament title.

Strong performances by O’Leary and Becky Miller ’13 on Day Two helped the team jump over Fairfield and finish the tournament in third place. Miller shot an 85, a five-stroke improvement from her performance on the first day of the tournament. Meanwhile, O’Leary shot a 78 to lead the Ephs and end the weekend with a 158, only four strokes short of the individual title and good enough for second place.

Gelber ended the tournament tied for 16th place after shooting an 86 on Day Two. Student finished the tournament tied for 20th, while Tubbs finished tied for 24th and Miller finished alone in 31st.

Head Coach Erika DeSanty was proud of her team. “Throughout the season we have been working on playing one shot at a time and in putting our best effort forward,” she said. “This weekend certainly proved that as each player fought throughout the round to post the best possible score they could. I am proud of our effort and our commitment to giving our best.

“The strength of our program is a combination of our work ethic and our depth,” she continued. “I am confident that any one of the five players who are chosen to compete on the weekends can and eventually will post the low score for our team. Determining who will compete each weekend has been difficult as we have so many talented golfers who have the potential to score low. I am thrilled by the promise of this group: if they continue to work as hard as they have been, I believe we will raise the level of expectation for the women’s golf program.”

The women will head to the Middlebury Invitational this weekend for a two-day tournament.