Field hockey defeats Colby 4-3

Despite a shaky second period, field hockey (3-2, 3-0 NESCAC) pulled out a victory over Colby (4-2, 1-2) on Saturday. The Ephs’ perfect conference record ties them atop the standings with the Trinity Bantams (6-0, 3-0) and the Tufts Jumbos (5-0, 3-0).

Williams scored only 11:48 into the game to take a lead they would retain for the duration. Lucy Rollins ’12 notched the point with an assist from Alice Bearn ’11.
Only eight minutes later, tri-captain Whitney Thayer ’10 scored with an assist from fellow tri-captain Anne de Saint Phalle ’10 after a penalty corner, bringing the score to 2-0. No other goals were scored before half time, and the Ephs entered the break with a two goal lead.

The Mules came back from halftime with determination, scoring less than a minute after play started. However, the Ephs rebounded 10 minutes later to re-assert a two-goal lead, as Lindsey Davies ’11 scored off an assist by Ariel Lyddane ’12. Five minutes after that, Davies scored again with an assist from Bearn to bring the Ephs to a 4-1 lead.

Williams held off Colby for most of the rest of the period, but the Mules made a run for the win at the end of the game. Colby’s Heather Quadir scored an unassisted goal near the end of the game to bring the score to 4-2, and Courtney Erskine scored in the final minutes of play. With the clock on the Ephs’ side however, Williams took the contest 4-3.

The team’s victory was particularly impressive in light of Colby’s statistical control of the game. The Mules outshot the Ephs 28-20 and were able to win 14 penalty corners to the Ephs’ seven. The difference was particularly apparent in the second half, as Colby outshot the Ephs by 12 and had 11 more penalty corners.

Head Coach Alix Barrale viewed the team’s efforts in the first half shut-out positively but was critical of the women’s performance in the second. “Our second half was not as stellar [as the first],” she said.
“We managed to score two more goals and have a 4-1 lead but were really back on our heels for most of the half,” she continued. Colby came out strong in the second half and really utilized their speed and power hits.”

Barrale was particularly proud of the performance of goalie Katrina Tulla ’11. Tulla played the full 70 minutes, made 12 saves and faced 20 shots and 11 penalty corners from Colby in the second half. “Katrina was spectacular . . . [she] kept us in the game and enabled us to keep our lead,” Barrale said.

Barrale was also complimentary about Davies. “[She] had her best game of the season so far,” she said. “She scored two goals in the second half to give us the spark we needed on offense.
“I’m proud of the way we fought hard and won the game,” Barrale continued. “We still have much to work on, but we are really starting to gel as a team with many players contributing to the team effort.”

“I was impressed with our ability to score four goals, the most we’ve had this season,” said tri-captain Amy Siedlecki ’10. “It was good to win on the road, especially in Maine – it’s always a tough trip.”
The Ephs will look to continue their success on the road as they travel to Springfield today to face the Pride under the lights at 7 p.m. They will then travel again on Saturday to face off against the Jeffs before they face Trinity at home on Sunday.

To prepare for the games this week, the Ephs have been focusing on a few specific areas in practice. “We’ve been working a lot on our defense, making sure we are practicing marking up properly,” said Siedlecki. “We have also been working on our corners because we haven’t been able to execute as well on those as we’ve hoped.”