Strong first-year candidate interest marks CC elections

From last Thursday through Saturday, College Council (CC) held campus-wide online elections to fill a number of positions. Fifty candidates vied for ten open positions on CC, as well as four on the Honor and Discipline Committee.

The elections stood in marked contrast to last year’s elections, which featured low voter turnout and uncontested races. This year, all elections but the Dodd at-large representative were contested by multiple candidates – in the case of the Williams Hall representative contest, seven different candidate choices were available.

While the elections were marked by a high level of participation from the Class of 2013, non-first-years showed significantly less enthusiasm, as evidenced by the low number of voters. The percentage of students voting for neighborhood at-large positions and Honor and Discipline Committee members hovered around or just slightly above 30 percent for sophomores, juniors and seniors. “The relatively smaller upperclassmen percentage of voters may be attributed to the fact that less upperclassmen ran,” said Mike Tcheyan ’10, CC co-president. “In addition, the intra-neighborhood bonds are not as strong as first-year dormitory bonds.”

Meanwhile, elections for the first-year representatives for the houses in Mission and the Frosh Quad all exceeded 50 percent. For Armstrong House, over 80 percent of residents voted, electing Omer Khalayleh ’13 from a pool of three candidates. “First-year elections always garner a ton more excitement because the bonds amongst first-year dorms and entries are so strong,” Tcheyan said.