Theft inspires change in views on safety

Defecation happens. When it does happen, most students on campus would have to leave their dorm rooms to go to the nearest bathroom. A legitimate question to ask then is, “Would you bring your key?” I expect the answer for most of us to be “no” – the thought of bringing a key and locking ours door for this act is simply silly.

But people beware. Let ourselves not be fooled by that which is silly on the surface. I am writing with regards to a theft that took place in Dodd Neighborhood over the weekend. While those of us seniors who are blessed with our own bathrooms do not need to leave our room unattended to relieve ourselves, shit happens too. The simple acts of sending off a visiting friend and checking on my pot of soup – a process taking less than three minutes – resulted in the loss of over $100. Someone walked into my room, opened my drawer and wiped me out.

It is good that, at Williams, we as students have access to all dorms (outside of co-ops). However, party goers and party hosts, do take responsibility of your guests. People who do not live in my dorm probably committed the theft, and they were in the room of a “friend” who was not even present in the room. While I have a pretty good guess who did it, and while both Williams Safety and Security and the Williamstown police arrived on the scene minutes afterward, justice was not met on that day, despite the subsequent questioning that took place. Outside of pursuing legal routes, not even a personal appeal to the friends of the “suspect” was heeded. There was no envelope under my door containing however much money that might be left. I am willing to cede to bad luck if I could recuperate my losses a little, no questions asked. Being unable to resolve this case through the belief in the goodwill of people, my wallet is waiting to be dusted for prints by the Williamstown Police Department.

To fellow students of the College, do take note: Our Purple Valley is not as safe as I once thought. If defecation means also to “free from impurity and corruption,” I wish that such unfortunate instances would be history and, more so, for the perpetrator to be kind.

Steven Cheng ’10