Wesleyan mourns murdered student

Wesleyan junior Johanna Justin-Jinich was murdered by gunshot last Wednesday while working at a local cafe. The culprit, Stephen Morgan, admitted to killing Justin-Jinich to Middletown, Conn. police on Thursday and has been charged with first-degree murder.

During the days after the shooting, Wesleyan administrators enforced strict cautionary policies. Libraries and the athletic center were closed for two days, campus events were canceled and students, faculty and staff were advised to remain indoors.

President Michael S. Roth has asked faculty members to be accommodating to mourning students’ requests to take final exams at later dates.

Investigators found written in Morgan’s journal, “Kill Johanna. She must Die,” and, “I think it’s ok to kill Jews and go on a killing spree,” the Associated Press reported on Friday.

Justin-Jinich attended a summer program with Morgan at New York University (NYU) two summers ago, and both had previously lived in Colorado.

At NYU, Morgan harassed her with e-mails and phone calls, and she filed an aggravated harassment complaint with the New York Police Department.

“You’re going to have a lot more problems down the road if you can’t take any [expletive] criticism, Johanna,” one of the e-mails said, according to a complaint Justin-Jinich filed to the police on July 17, 2007.

Compiled from Wesleyan Campus Community News, The Wesleyan Argus and ABC News.