Summer construction includes renovations to Faye, Doughty, Hopkins

Facilities has finalized its summer construction projects and renovations, which are aimed mainly at energy conservation and student housing.

In order to evaluate steam utilization, steam meters will be placed around campus in an effort to ultimately lower the current rates of steam use. In Dodd and Hubbell Houses steam-lines will also be replaced.
Furthermore, some energy conservation projects will focus on lighting at various locations on campus. At Cole Field House, Facilities will be look into mitigating water infiltration.

Repairs will be made to Fayerweather, focusing on the heating and painting of the dorm. Fairly major renovations will also take place at Doughty House.

The only academic building that will see major changes is Hopkins Hall, where masonry repairs are in order for the north stairway. The heating plant will also experience some upgrades.

Facilities will also carry out minor tasks such as completing floor repairs and replacements, exterior and interior painting and roof repairs and replacements in various building on campus.

David Dower, director of planning and construction, said that the economic situation has forced Facilities as well as other campus offices to “reprioritize its plans and focus on maintaining current assets and extending their life cycle.” The cost of the summer projects is estimated to total $1.9 million.