Student in stable condition after fall

Nicholas Neumann-Chun ’12 is in stable condition after falling 20 feet through a trap door at the ’62 Center on Monday evening. According to his parents, he is moving today from the intensive care unit at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield to a regular hospital room.

In an all-campus e-mail sent yesterday morning, Dean Merrill elaborated on the incident. Neumann-Chun was rehearsing for the play Beauty^10, a theater department class production. He was last seen before the accident between 6:30 and 6:45 p.m. in the dressing room, but later did not show up to rehearse his part. Later, when he still had not shown up, two rounds of searches of the building were conducted, that latter of which located Neumann-Chun.

The student had fallen approximately 20 feet down the shaft that houses CenterStage’s trap floor. Apparently, Neumann-Chun had stepped into the shaft expecting to step directly on the platform, but fell because the platform was one story above.

At 10:23 p.m., “Someone called from the theater to Campus Safety and Security to say that Nicholas had been found,” said Jim Kolesar, assistant to the president for Public Affairs. Security officers responded to the scene immediately, and “as soon as they saw him they arranged for the local emergency responders to be called,” Kolesar added.

In addition to the officers, Village Ambulance and the Williamstown Police and Fire Departments all responded to the scene. According to Merrill’s e-mail, Neumann-Chun was “showing signs of consciousness” upon the responders’ arrival and was taken first to Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield, before being transferred to Springfield. He was accompanied by Dean Dave Johnson and a local family member, and was later joined by his parents.

Yesterday afternoon, Merrill updated the campus with an e-mail after having spoken with Neumann-Chun’s parents, who reported his condition was stabilizing. “Thank you for the many expressions of concern from across campus, which I was able to convey to his family,” Merrill said.