Admission yield increases 5.5%

As of Monday afternoon, the Office of Admission had received 550 confirmations of matriculation from students for the Class of 2013 after the May 1 deadline. This number marks a 5.5 percent increase over last year’s yield of 42.4 percent and represents the College’s target yield for this year – met without having turned to the waitlist. Admission expects to have 560 deposits by the end of the week, the 10 extra deposits providing a “cushion” to make up for students who withdraw over the summer or opt to defer a year.

“Yield on admitted students far exceeded expectations,” said Nesbitt. “We will undoubtedly bypass our target.”

The year’s biggest unknown in terms of admission for colleges across the nation has been the weak economy. Despite this uncertainty, the College anticipates it will not only meet expectations, but exceed them. “I anticipate that we will have 560 deposits in hand by May 8,” Nesbitt said. The deadline for confirmation was May 1, but Nesbitt said he expects a handful of additional deposits that were postmarked last week to arrive late. Six students also received extensions in order to “work out financial aid issues.”

“We had [originally] expected to have 525 members of the class by May 8 and subsequently to add 25 to 35 from the waiting list,” Nesbitt said. “Hitting the number virtually on the button was a lovely surprise.” The decision to offer admission to students presently on the waiting list will depend on the extent to which that “melt” affects numbers. Of the 550 deposits received, 232 were from students offered early admission in December. Thus far, the Class of 2013 is comprised of 54 percent females and 46 percent males.

In addition to an overall increase in numbers, the College has seen a slight increase in the number of students of color. Next year’s class currently includes 67 Asian Americans, 55 African Americans, 55 Latinos and one Native American. Although this group represents a slight overall increase, the number of African American students has held constant, while the number of Native Americans has fallen from three in the Class of 2012.

As the current figures stand, one group seeing a significant drop in numbers is international students. In next fall’s incoming class, there are currently 36 international students, or roughly six percent of the Class of 2013. This is a 30 percent decrease compared to the 8.6 percent anticipated this time last year for the Class of 2012 and the nine percent two years ago for the Class of 2011. In addition, Nesbitt said, “Early indications suggest that there will be a higher percentage of this class qualifying for financial aid.”