NBC show brings down the house

This weekend Goodrich was rocked by screams and catcalls as Nothin’ But Cuties (NBC) took the stage in celebration of the group’s 10th year. In 1999 Billy Green founded the group, and his influence on his dancers was reflected in the high number of alums who attended the performance. Rousseau Mieze ’10 was the show’s entertaining announcer.

The first dance, entitled “Out Here Grindin’”, showcased the group’s hardcore abilities with a crazy gang-dance-battle and T-shirts scrawled with the phrase, “Love Runs Deep.” Fighting moves were incorporated into the choreography by Betsy Assoumou ’09, which included thrust-out chest and harsh arm movements that resembled slaps and punches. DJ Khaled’s song of the same name worked well with the grinding and hip-thrusting that permeated the dance.

Next was a gesture to Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies” with a dance entitled “Oh Oh Oh.” The girls appeared in slinky black “single ladies” outfits, complete with stockings. The choreography by Colbye Prim ’09 involved graceful extensions of arms and legs, hair flips and gymnastic leg lifts. The added gyrations to the floor definitely gave the groove back to single ladies.

Outkast’s “B.O.B” followed, with the group sporting headbands, knee socks and new NBC shirts complete with its slogan “You Know!” The dance involved cheerleader-esque moves in choreography by Lexy Coleman ’11.

“Like You’ll Never See Me Again” by Alicia Keys altered the mood as the dancers took the stage in male dress shirts and black stockings to beautifully demonstrate a loss of love in what became my favorite dance of the night. The girls began on the floor and slowly awakened as the lights lifted. Their smooth movements perfectly hit the accents of the song with choreography by Lyndsay Lau ’09, including hugs, jumps and ballet twirls that expressed pure and unique emotion. The dance ended with the girls exiting the stage door and walking into the light.

Mieze’s introduction to the next piece, “Where there’s dancing, there’s danger” proved true. The stage became ablaze with passion as Kelis’ “Fire” blared, and the troupe filed in from off stage as if running from a fire. They climbed onstage as lights flashed to Prim’s choreography.

Lil Wayne’s “I Feel Like Dying” accompanied the only dance choreographed by a first year, Nicole Shannon ’12. Mieze compared this dance to “crack,” and I have to agree – it was an interesting and creepy combination of slow ballet steps and punk hair extensions. My favorite move involved the girls balancing on their ballet shoed tip toes and slowly sliding to the floor in a split. This dance was a fresh addition to the NBC repertoire.

Following was a dance choreographed by Noelia Guzman ’11 and Leah Hurwich ’11 to both Remy Ma’s “Conceited” and Rupee‘s “Tempted to Touch.” The girls emerged in white dress shirts, ties and black pants to add belly dance influences into their typical hip-hop inventory. The dance involved floor gyrations and extended poses. When the song changed, the girls unbuttoned their dress shirts and added a salsa feel to their moves.

Next, a piece choreographed by Rebecca Bacchioni ’10 was accompanied by Lil Wayne’s “A Milli” and 50 Cent’s “Get Up” as the group danced with moves that worked with the music’s bass wonderfully. The dance ended and transitioned into a video dedicated to the group’s 10 years at the College. The film included historic footage of NBC performances that emphasized its saying that “there are no mistakes, only solos” and showed that NBC’s members have always given their all.

Emanuel Yekutiel ’11, the male member of NBC, choreographed a dance entitled “Attack of the Killer Transgender Robots” to Mima’s “Move If You Wanna,” a dance which involved masks and painted gray shirts. The group threw off the masks and danced passionately with exaggerated and excited movements.

Next was the senior number, performed and choreographed by NBC’s seniors – Assoumou, Lau, Prim, Emily George ’09 and Lori Griffin ’09 – entitled “Opus.” The piece, a compilation of Destiny’s Child’s “Independent Women” and T.I.’s “Livin’ Your Life,” began with the seniors in work shirts acting out the hustle and bustle of work life. It was interrupted with a message from “Morty” telling them to teach people to dance, to which the girls responded by changing into NBC Superman shirts and imitating flying while on chairs. It was an inspirational performance that showcased the seniors’ amazing talent.

The last dance was an NBC Tradition, the first song every member learns. Entitled “Ectasy,” it was originally choreographed by Green. The easy moves and ecstatic performance showcased every member’s love for NBC, with the dance beginning and ending with the group in a pile on the floor.

In my opinion this was the performance of a lifetime, a worthy farewell to the seniors that give NBC its character. The show was amazing and the group, as always, made libidos rage.