MIT edges women’s track by 9.5 points

Although MIT claimed the women’s track Div. III title, Williams performed excellently at the New England Championships at Springfield on Saturday. With a score of 143, Williams just fell 9.5 points short of MIT’s score. However, Williams stands as the only team besides MIT to earn over 100 points, and the team also finished 129 points ahead of Amherst.
In the heptathlon, Karyn Moss ’12 claimed fourth place, scoring five points, and Sara Turner ’11 followed close behind in fifth. The high jump was perhaps the Ephs’ strongest heptathlon event, as Turner and Moss earned first and second, respectively.

In the 10,000 meter run, co-captain Lauren Philbrook ’09 scored eight points for Williams by placing second with a time of 37:20.22.

The field events continued to see solid showings from the Ephs. Julia Cohan ’11 placed 11th in the javelin throw and Madeline Watson ’12 placed 10th in the shot put. In the pole vault event Rachel Teitelbaum ’11 placed 10th, while Watson took 10th in the discus throw. Moss captured seventh in the triple jump event.

Williams continue to demonstrate talent in the hurdling events. Elise Johnson ’10 shined in the 100 meter hurdles, in which her final time of 14.46 earned her second. In the 3000 meter steeplechase, Meghan Shea ’11 led the Williams pack by finishing in second place with a time of 10:54.90. Co-captain Robin Kuntz ’09 followed two places behind in fourth.
Team strength and spirit came together for a successful 4×100 meter relay. Relay members Johnson, Kelsey Ham ’12, Shawna McArdle ’10 and Hillary Higgs ’12 took second in the event.

Olga Kondratjeva ’10 placed fourth in the 1500 meter run with a time of 4:39.82; Elizabeth Danhakl ’11 placed sixth in the event. In the 400 meter dash, Ham placed fourth with a solid time of 58.27, and Emily Heaslip ’10 placed seventh.

Perhaps the meet’s excitement reached a peak during the 100 meter dash, in which Johnson sprinted to first place with a time of 12.62. Higgs also ran a commendable race, placing fourth with a final time of 12.82. Williams only continued to rack up points as Danhakl and Sara Wild ’11 took second and fourth in the 800 meter run, respectively. Nora Mitchell ’10 placed fourth in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:05.10.

Johnson and Higgs continued to impress the competition in the 200 meter dash, which saw Johnson place third and Higgs place fifth. Philbrook and Shea worked hard to top rival athletes in the 5000 meter run and succeeded: Philbrook crossed the line in first with a time of 17:12.69, and Shea placed second with a time of 17:41.31.

Kondratjeva, Ariel Williams ’10, Olivia Delia ’12 and Wild combined their individual strength to earn second in the 4×800 meter relay. Heaslip, Anne Kerth ’11, Mitchell and Wild also placed second in the 4×400 meter relay.

Although the Ephs did not take the top spot in the meet, the women still proved their capabilities and team spirit ran high. “Hopefully next year the Williams women will get the title back,” Philbrook said. “We still had plenty of outstanding performances at this meet and throughout our season, and plenty to be excited about.”
This weekend, qualifying team members will race at the NEICAAA meet at UMass.