Men’s golf wins 12th straight Little Three title

Men’s golf ended its spring season on a high note, claiming its 12th consecutive Little Three title at Wesleyan. Playing at Lyman Orchards Country Club, the Ephs dominated Wesleyan 12-0 and Amherst 8-4. The Little Three Championship consists of 36 holes of golf, four alternate shot matches in the morning followed by eight singles matches in the afternoon.

The Ephs started the day strong, tying Amherst 2-2 after morning play. However, it was the afternoon’s impressive singles matches that allowed the men to secure their victory.
Siwol Chang ’12 and Chris Valle ’12 started the morning off with an impressive 8 and 6 victory over Amherst and 4 and 3 victory over Wesleyan. Chang continued his strong morning performance into the afternoon, defeating both Amherst and Wesleyan. Drew Murray ’11 and Bob Camp ’11 also defeated both opponents in the morning. Murray’s strong play continued in the afternoon, when he picked up a 6 and 5 victory over Amherst and a 4 and 3 victory over Wesleyan. Jack Killea ’11 similarly secured a victory over both Amherst and Wesleyan.

Senior co-captains Tyler Zara ’09 and Matt Felser ’09 both posted impressive rounds in the final matches of their Williams golf careers. Felser secured a 5 and 4 victory over Amherst, while Zara secured 5 and 4 victories over both Amherst and Wesleyan. Paired up with senior captains from Amherst and Wesleyan in his afternoon match, Felser said, “It was a pretty bittersweet experience as we all teed off together knowing this would be the final round of our collegiate careers. I would say collegiate golf is pretty unique in that regard. Our biggest rivals in fact become some of our best friends over the years. That said, Tyler and I had no intention of losing our final matches out there, and we didn’t.”

Head Coach Rick Pohle said, “I am very pleased with the efforts of the team in the Little Three championship. They showed a lot of patience on the golf course and pretty good course management skills. Looking ahead, I think our younger players will react to this season with a different outlook toward next season. We have to be ready to play competitively from day one when we arrive back on campus in September.”