Women’s golf places 6th at Spring Invite

This weekend, women’s golf hosted its Spring Invitational at the Taconic Golf Club. Captain Melissa Barton ’09 led the first team, which included Anne O’Leary ’10, Kait O’Brien ’10, Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Kristen Tubbs ’12. Though not part of the official scoring squad, Dale Markey ’11, Aimee Weber ’11, Becca Sullivan ’11, Grace Gordon ’12, Izzy Lee ’12 and Lauren Anstey ’11 also took to the links for the home tournament. The Ephs placed sixth out of seven teams.

Though Williams did not have a top-place finish, the Ephs were pleased that they were all able to compete on the home course. “I’m so glad to have the entire team playing together this weekend. I think the best part of our team is that we’re so close knit and supportive of each other,” Nottebohm said of the team.

Despite good course conditions and sunny skies, the women struggled to perform their best at home. After the first day, Middlebury led the field with a score of 327, and Amherst lagged only one stroke behind. The Ephs posted a score of 339 which put them in sixth place, even though they were not too far from the top in terms of points. Barton played the Ephs’ strongest round with a score of 83, and O’Leary followed with an 84. Tubbs, O’Brien and Nottebohm also contributed with rounds of 85, 87 and 87, respectively. Though she did not play for the Ephs’ first team, Markey also posted an impressive 84 during her first round of competition for the season.

The Ephs fared no better on Sunday. While their score was slightly better in relation to the rest of the competition, it was still not enough to put Williams in contention. O’Leary led the team with an 80, while Barton, Tubbs, Nottebohm and O’Brien followed with respective scores of 87, 88, 88 and 89. Middlebury posted a 317 for the day, giving the Panthers a total weekend score of 644 and earning them first place. Mount Holyoke finished second with 662 points. Amherst, Vassar, St. Lawrence and then Williams followed. Williams ended the tournament with a score of 682, placing them above only Nazareth.

“Golf is such a mental game, and our team struggled with that this weekend. Sometimes it’s best if you just stop thinking and play,” Markey said.

The women will compete again this weekend at Wellesley for their last regular tournament of the season. As they look to Saturday and Sunday, the Ephs hope to harness their talent and earn a bid to the NCAA tournament in Port St. Lucie, Fla. “It’s hard not knowing whether we will get a bid until so late in the season, but I guess that just means we have one more good chance to prove ourselves next weekend,” O’Brien said.