Men’s golf finishes 4th at NESCACs

After an impressive performance on Day 1, men’s golf fell to a fourth place finish at the NESCAC Championship.

A 306 team total after the first round secured the Ephs a two-stroke edge over Hamilton and Trinity, and a seven-shot lead over the Middlebury Panthers’ 313.

The second round at Ralph Myre Golf Club in Middlebury, Vt. proved to be more of a challenge, as the Ephs ended Day Two with a 325 for a weekend team total of 631. Hamilton finished in third place with a 616, and Middlebury and Trinity tied for first with matching 613s. Middlebury secured the win in a tiebreaker, which was decided by comparing the scores of Middlebury and Trinity’s fifth players. Overcoming a dissatisfying performance on Day One, the Panthers’ second round 300 earned the team an automatic bid to NCAAs in Port St. Lucie, Fla. this May.

Despite finishing fourth, the Ephs posted a number of strong scores over the course of the weekend. Matt Felser ’09 finished in seventh place with a two-day total of 155 (76, 79). Jack Killea ’11 was not far behind, finishing tied for 10th with a 158 after carding an impressive 73 on Day One. Only two strokes back, Tyler Zara ’09 shot a 160, with a 79 on Day Two. Jake Wagner ’11 posted a 161 after a 79 on Day One, followed by Bob Camp ’11 who finished with a 163 after carding a first round score of 78.

“I think we felt we needed to play so well the second day that we never relaxed enough to let the game come to us,” said Head Coach Rick Pohle. “Golf is a game that you have to let unfold and then settle into the task at hand. There is a big difference between wanting to play well and having to play well – one is motivated by desire the other is motivated by fear. It wasn’t too difficult to see where our motivation was coming from on Sunday.”

This Wednesday, men’s golf will travel to Wesleyan for the Little Three Championship. With any luck, the Ephs will end their spring season with their 12th consecutive Little Three victory. The Ephs then hope to qualify for Nationals on May 9.