Women’s track trounces Little Three rivals

Women’s track dominated at Wesleyan on Saturday, claiming the Little Three title for the 25th year in a row. With many personal records and high team spirits, Williams scored 174 points, which put the team well ahead of Amherst at 114 points and Wesleyan, who scored 93 points.

The Ephs competed in top-notch shape, winning almost every event. In the 100 meter dash, Kelsey Ham ’12 placed first with a time of 12.91, earning seven points for the team. Kylie Huckleberry ’11 placed second with a time of 13.36, Shawna Rae McArdle ’10 placed third with a time of 13.51 and Virginia Cumberbatch ’11 placed fourth with a time of 13.53. In the 100 meter hurdles, Katie DuPre ’10 and Maya Harakawa ’12 earned second and third.

Hillary Higgs ’12 won the 200 meter dash with a time of 25.99. Ham followed closely behind in second place and Emily Heaslip ’10 rounded out the top three. Higgs continued her winning streak in the 400 meter dash, in which she ran a time of 59.28. Heaslip sprinted to second with a time of 59.85, and Nora Mitchell ’10 placed fourth.

Harakawa won the 400 meter hurdle event with a time of 1:06.48. DuPre was the runner-up with a time of 1:07.55. In the 800 meter run, Lizzy Danhakl ’11 ran a time of 2:14.69 for the win.
Ephs also swept the 1500 meter run. Co-captain Lauren Philbrook ’09 ran a solid time of 4:39.86, which placed her in first. Sara Wild ’11 placed second with a time of 4:40.12, and Ariel Williams ’10 took third with her time of 4:40.31. Meghan Shea ’11 and co-captain Robin Kuntz ’09 rounded out the top five.

In the 4×100 meter relay, Huckleberry, Ham, McArdle and Higgs secured first place with a time of 49.64. Mitchell, Harakawa, Wild and Danhakl won the 4×400 meter relay with a solid time of 4:01.62.

Williams continued to impress in the field events. In the long jump, Ham placed first with a distance of 4.98 meters, while Julia Cohan ’10 placed second in the hammer throw event with a distance of 29.87 meters. Kathryn Evans ’09 placed third in the triple jump, and in the women’s shot put, Maddy Watson ’12 placed first with a distance of 11.64 meters.
Rachel Teitelbaum ’11 and Sarah Bender ’11 placed first and second, respectively, in the pole vault. The discus throw saw Watson claim first with a distance of 32.24 meters; Eileen Becker ’12 took third. Cohan placed first in the javelin throw; Katrina Tulla ’11 placed second and Kristen Baldiga ’10 third. In the 3000 meter steeplechase, Sarah Tory ’11 earned her team another first with a time of 11:40.47.

Overall, Little Threes served as a great indicator of the team’s talent. “I’m always so impressed by the depth of our team,” co-captain Heather Bemis ’09 said. “A ton of girls had their season’s best performances yesterday, and many came close to NCAA provisional qualifying marks.”

“Little Threes is such a fun competition and tradition, and it’s pretty cool to have won it 25 years in a row,” Philbrook said.

Women’s track also executed a strong performance the week before at the UMass-Amherst meet on April 11. Battling against strong winds and drizzles, the team placed fourth overall with a total of 96 points. The 800 meter run in particular exemplified the team’s solidity. Wild, Williams and Danhakl placed third, fourth and fifth with respective times of 2:16.67, 2:17.17 and 2:17.34.

Williams also had enjoyed especially strong showing in the 100 meter dash. Elise Johnson ’10 sprinted to second place with a commendable time of 13.02. Johnson also placed second in the 100 meter hurdles. Longer events, too, provided the opportunity for great runs. “One highlight was the women’s 5k, in which seven Williams girls ran under 19 minutes,” Kuntz said. Philbrook placed first with a very strong Nationals provisional time of 17:07.54.

Coming off of consecutive successful competitions, both co-captains agree that the team is in great shape for this Saturday’s NESCAC Championship at Conn. College.