Women’s golf scores 697, places 6th at Jack Leary Invitational

The Ephs began their spring campaign last weekend at the Jack Leaman Invitational hosted by Amherst and Mount Holyoke. Melissa Barton ’09, Anne O’Leary ’10, Kait O’Brien ’10, Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Kristen Tubbs ’12 represented Williams. The women tallied a two-day total of 697 to take sixth place in a field of 10 squads. Amherst took first with a 657, followed by Middlebury with a 677.

On Saturday, the women teed up at Hickory Ridge Country Club, a par 74, 5870 yard course, and finished the day with a team total of 346. The course was in fairly good condition for early spring and the team was relieved that the rain held off. Barton and O’Leary led the Ephs with a 79 and an 80, respectively. Their scores were the second and fourth lowest rounds of the day. Rounding out the scoring for the day were Tubbs and Nottebohm, who scored 92 and 95, respectively. Williams ranked fourth after Sunday.

The teams played the second day at the Orchards Golf Club, a par 72, 5860 yard course. “The Orchards was also in fair shape and the greens were rolling well; however, three holes had temporary greens which made it a challenge to read,” Nottebohm said. The women were paired with St. Lawrence and UC Santa Cruz. At Sunday’s start, St. Lawrence was only one stroke behind Williams, and UC Santa Cruz was three behind. A few of the Ephs struggled on Sunday’s round, and the team posted a score of 351. As a result, both St. Lawrence and UC Santa Cruz jumped above Williams in the rankings.

O’Leary’s 84 led the way, followed by an 86 from Tubbs and a 90 from Nottebohm. Barton and O’Brien each tallied a 91. O’Leary notched seventh place individually in a field of 55 players, while Barton took 14th.
The Ephs were disappointed with their performance on Sunday, feeling that lack of practice may have contributed to their scores. “It’s clear that we’re still shaking off the rust after only three days of on-course work prior to this event,” O’Brien said.

“Spring golf always poses the challenge of quickly finding a tempo in your game,” Tubbs said.

The women will continue their spring schedule next weekend when they host the Williams Spring Invitational at the Taconic Golf Club on Saturday and Sunday, and both the A and the B squads will play. “We are looking forward to a solid week of practice for a great showing at our home event,” O’Leary said.