Spring Street Blues Apr.14-Apr.18

Monday 4-13-09

12:25 p.m., Lasell: The associate director of Athletics reported damage to a vinyl banner in Lasell near the Fitness Center. The bottom portion of a women’s rowing team NCAA banner appeared to have been cut off and was missing. The banner was originally hung in the College Div. III Hall of Fame and has an estimated value of over $200.

3:08 p.m., Hopkins Hall: An officer responded for a report of a stone or brick-like object on the west steps. Officers could not determine whether the object had fallen off the building. Facilities was notified.

5:21 p.m., Cole Field: Campus Safety and Security received a complaint about someone hitting golf balls too close to students. An alumnus was found hitting golf balls and was asked to stop.

10:44 p.m., Tyler Annex: An officer smelled a strong marijuana odor on the first floor and notified the Williamstown Police Department (WPD). When WPD arrived on scene, a student and room were identified, and the resident admitted to WPD that he was smoking marijuana. He was written a citation.

Tuesday 4-14-09

12:17 a.m., Sage: Students reported smelling smoke and were directed by Security dispatch to evacuate the building by pulling a fire alarm. Williamstown Fire Department (WFD) responded. A student came forward and stated that he may have caused the problem by lighting smoke balls in the quad. WFD checked the building and students were allowed to reenter.

9:02 p.m., Williams Hall: Security received a fire alarm, which was determined to be caused by cigarette smoke.
Thursday 4-16-09

12:18 p.m., Dodd Parking Lot: An officer checking vehicles’ parking statuses approached a vehicle and found an adult rottweiller barking and growling viciously. The owner of the vehicle was identified and contacted about the dog being left in the vehicle for an extended period of time.

Friday 4-17-09

12:02 a.m., Mark Hopkins: Security received a fire alarm caused by burnt popcorn. The area was ventilated, and the system was reset.

10:56 p.m., Perry: Patrolling officers heard music and yelling from the library area. Officers entered the library and found approximately 60 students playing beer pong on several tables. The area was cleaned up, and everyone left quietly.

Saturday 4-18-09

12:47 a.m.: Officers responded to the Route 2 rotary for a report of a possibly intoxicated student impeding the flow of traffic. WPD also responded. No student was found.

6:30 p.m.: Security discovered multiple vehicles parked on Lawrence Drive in the area coned off for bands. Officers were trying to identify the owners in order to move the cars.

8:20 p.m.: Thirteen vehicles were still illegally parked on Lawrence Drive in both the fire lanes and the handicap spots. Some of the vehicles belonged to the band members.

10:42 p.m., Garfield: Officers responded to a report of an illegal party in progress. Officers found 40 students gathered with approximately one-and-a-half 30-packs of beer present and another empty 30-pack.
Sunday 4-19-09

4:00 a.m., Garfield: Officer responded to speak to a student concerning a possible medical emergency, and 9-1-1 was activated.

8:15 a.m.: While on patrol, an officer noticed a porcelain toilet with tank attached sitting on upper Cole Field. An Amherst frisbee player said the toilet had been on the field since the previous day and did not know who put it there.

1:09 p.m., Prospect: A student reported that the north door’s exterior handle was broken. An officer contacted the on-call carpenter and also the locksmith.

4:19 p.m., Paresky: Security received a report of youths on bikes doing tricks. The responding officer found four high schoolers sitting on bikes in front of the building. The officer advised the group not to ride their bikes in front of the building. The group was very polite and left the area.

10:09 p.m., Tyler: An officer found remnants of 10 empty 20-packs in the backyard as well as cake smashed into the hallway rug in Tyler Annex.

10:12 p.m.: An officer responded to the outside of the hockey rink area for a student who was kicked in head by a body surfer at The Roots concert. The student was transported to North Adams Regional Hospital (NARH).

10:20 p.m., Prospect: An officer responded for a report of someone smoking marijuana behind the dorm.

10:45 p.m.: A student called Security regarding a strange male in the area of the Science Quad following her towards Perry House. Officers identified an individual who said that he was on campus for Previews looking at some of the buildings on campus.