Men’s WUFO falls to Midd. in final

Last weekend at West New England Sectionals hosted by Williams, the Williams Ultimate Frisbee Organization (WUFO) men’s team held seed to take second in the tournament. The men, led by President Brian Bistolfo ’09 and field captains Carl Brasz ’09 and Caleb Balderston ’10, fell to Middlebury in the final of the tournament. With the second place finish, men’s WUFO earned a bid to New England Regionals on May 2 and marks the beginning of “The Series,” a string of tournaments nationwide which lead to College Nationals and a national champion.

The season started over Dead Week with a trip to California and games against top California teams, including a big win over Stanford. Then Spring Break came around and the season started in earnest with two large tournaments, Southern’s and Eastern’s. WUFO put up solid performances both weekends: they finished seventh in Southern’s after falling to Virginia in the quarterfinals and finished third at Eastern’s after defeating first-seeded Georgia.

Other highlights of Easterns were having Bistalfo, Brasz and Jamie Quella ’10 compete in the North vs. South all-star game, and sideline cheers so raucous in the Georgia game that they were banned.

Two weekends ago, men’s WUFO went undefeated at the Brown Invite. All of this success has led to a 23-8 record and a rank of 10th in this past week’s UPA top 25. The men will enter Regionals as a likely No. 2 seed, giving the team a great shot at their ultimate goal: a bid to College Nationals