At Taconic, men’s golf crushes Midd.

Proving that a little practice goes a long way, men’s golf came back from last week’s struggle to secure a decisive victory over Middlebury in the final round of the Williams/Middlebury Cup Matches.

After losing to Middlebury in the last matchup, Williams reclaimed the title with a 50.5 to 21.5 point win. Playing at home at Taconic Golf Club, the Ephs ended Round One on Saturday with a 22-14 lead. Round Two produced a significant increase in their margin of victory, as the Ephs dominated the Panthers 28.5 to 7.5 by the end of Sunday’s singles and best-ball matches.

In an impressive showing, Tyler Zara ’09 and Galen Jackson ’09 secured all nine points in their respective matches.

Matt Felser ’09 and Bob Camp ’11 were close behind, picking up 8.5 of the possible nine points. Jake Wagner ’11 and Jack Killea ’11 earned another six points, with Drew Murray ’11 and Siwol Chang ’12 recording the last five.

Taking advantage of the opportunity to demonstrate the team’s depth of talent, the Ephs posted impressive numbers across the board. Camp led the team on Day Two with a 72, 10 strokes lower than his Day One score. Zara carded the team’s low score for the weekend with a 153, and Killea was only one stroke behind with a 154.

Felser and Wagner posted matching 78s and 77s for two-day totals of 155. With a 77 on Day One, Chang carded a 160 for the weekend. Murray posted a two-day total of 166, with Jackson one stroke behind at 167. Individuals Chris Valle ’12 (78) and Rahul Bahl ’09 (79) also carded impressive rounds.

“I was very pleased with the performance of the entire team this weekend,” Head Coach Rick Pohle said. “Most of them have responsed to my request to find the next level of play in their games so that our program can regain the prominence that was here before the arrived and one that will challenge the players that follow them.”

After strong play by a number of Ephs, Pohle will face the challenge of deciding which five players will compete in this weekend’s NESCAC Championship at Middlebury, which will bring together the top four teams from last fall’s NESCAC tournament. Sure to be an exciting competition, the winning team will earn a coveted spot at the NCAA Div. III National Championship, to be held in Port St. Lucie, Fla. in May.