Women’s track impresses

Women’s track executed a strong performance at the UMass-Amherst meet on Saturday. Battling against strong winds and drizzles, the team placed fourth overall with a total of 96 points. Although Maine, UMass and Boston College scored higher, the women still managed to finished four places ahead of rival Amherst.

In the track events, Lizzy Danhakl ’11 placed sixth in the 1500 meter run with a time of 4:41.58 while Olivia Delia ’12 placed 11th with a time of 4:51.52. Kylie Huckleberry ’11 took ninth in the 400 meter dash. Williams also had enjoyed especially strong showing in the 100 meter dash. Elise Johnson ’10 sprinted to second place with a commendable time of 13.02. Hillary Higgs ’12 followed closely behind, finishing fourth with a time of 13.10. Johnson also placed second in the 100 meter hurdles.

The 800 meter run also exemplified the team’s solidity. Sara Wild ’11, Ariel Williams ’10 and Danhakl placed third, fourth and fifth with respective times of 2:16.67, 2:17.17 and 2:17.34. Olga Kondratjeva ’10 finished seventh in the event.

Nora Mitchell ’10 and Maya Harakawa ’12 represented Williams in the 400 meter hurdles. Mitchell placed fourth with a time of 1:06.93, while Harakawa captured fifth with her time of 1:08.15. Karyn Moss ’12 crossed the finish line in seventh.

Despite the strong winds, the Ephs continued to showcase their talent and speed in the sprinting arena. In the 200 meter dash, Johnson placed fifth with a time of 26.53; Higgs followed right after to claim sixth.

Longer events, too, provided the opportunity for great runs. “One highlight was the women’s 5k, in which seven Williams girls ran under 19 minutes,” co-captain Robin Kuntz ’09 said. The 5000 meter run was indeed an exciting race. Co-captain Lauren Philbrook ’09 placed first with a very strong Nationals provisional time of 17:07.54. Gillian Tedeschi ’09 and Mary Feeley ’09 placed eighth and ninth with times of 18:05.44 and 18:07.42, respectively. Julie McNamara ’09 placed 12th and Natalia Rey de Castro ’09 placed 14th. “I was really excited about how the girls did in the 5k – many ran personal records and qualified for later meets,” Philbrook said.

Meghan Shea ’11 earned fifth in the 3000 meter steeplechase with a time of 11:19.67, and Sarah Tory ’11 and Kuntz took seventh and eighth in the event. The 4×400 meter relay saw Williams place third with a time of 4:04.54.

In the shot put, Madeleine Watson ’12 took sixth by throwing a distance of 10.92 meters. Eileen Becker ’12 placed eighth. Julia Cohan ’11 snagged third in the javelin throw, and Kelsey Ham ’12 placed eighth in the long jump. Cohan also competed in the hammer throw, in which she placed tenth. Kathryn Evans ’10 represented Williams in the triple jump event and earned the 10th spot.

“The team is looking strong as we head into our championship season,” Kuntz said. “Even with the cold weather and the tough early spring training, we are already posting good marks and fast times.”

The team will compete at the Little Threes at Wesleyan on April 18. Kuntz added that the team is looking ahead to NESCACs and the Div. III New England championships. “After coming in second at the indoor New England championship, we’re excited to fight hard to take back the title,” she said.