Men’s golf finishes 10th at Palamountain Invite

The men’s golf season got off to a rough start with a 10th place finish at the Palamountain Invitational. Amidst challenging conditions, the team managed to secure the sixth spot after Day One with a team total of 335. Despite improvement in the weather, the Ephs had slipped four spots by the end of Day Two, posting a 342 to finish the tournament with a two-day team total of 677.

Skidmore’s A team secured the win with a 622 team total for the weekend, followed by Hamilton with a 638 and Skidmore’s B team with a 644. Quite a few strokes short of first place, the Ephs’ disappointing scores were in part the result of difficult conditions, a shortened spring trip, lack of open practice facilities and not having their A lineup in place. Nevertheless, Head Coach Rick Pohle commented that despite having “all the excuses to fall back on,” the Ephs had significantly underperformed as a team.

Bob Camp ’11 posted the Ephs’ best weekend score, carding a 78 on Day One and an 84 on Day Two for a 162 total. Drew Murray ’11 was not far behind, shooting an 84 and 83 to finish the weekend with a 167. Galen Jackson ’09 and Jack Wagner ’11 posted matching two-day totals of 174, with Jackson carding an 86 and 88 and Wagner carding two 87s. Meanwhile, Siwol Chang ’12 struggled to find his footing, posting an 89 and 92 for a two-day total of 181. Competing as an individual, Chris Valle ’12 posted a 174 for the weekend, improving his Day One score of 93 by 12 strokes with a solid 81 on Day Two.

“I would say [our play] was sort of expected with our lack of playing time compared to other schools at this moment,” Pohle said. “I think round two was more of a disappointment we had a couple of rounds under our belt and actually played worse than the first day.

“For a long time we have noticed a number of teams in our region getting better and better,” he continued, “and now it’s time for us to respond to the challenge.”

After posting one of Williams’ highest two-day totals in recent memory, the talented Eph team will work intensely to improve its level of performance in the coming weeks. Their practice is sure to pay off this weekend as they compete at home against Middlebury in preparation for the NESCAC Championship taking place at the end of the month.