Bowdoin fells women’s lax

Williams (6-4, 3-4 in the NESCAC) fell to Bowdoin (7-6, 2-5) 10-7 on Saturday in a fierce match-up that tested both teams. Though the first half of the game saw the rivals in a close back-and-forth contest, the Polar Bears were able to increase their lead in the second to capture the win. Despite its loss, Williams still remains seventh in the NESCAC rankings, one spot above Bowdoin.

The beginning of the game saw the Ephs open well. Tracey Ferriter ’10 opened the scoring at 2:30 into the game. The Polar Bears responded to the Ephs’ early efforts by scoring two goals. After this surge of Bowdoin strength, Margie Fulton ’12, named NESCAC Player of the Week for April 6, tied the score at 2-2 with a goal with 19:46 remaining.

Bowdoin only increased its level of play in the remainder of the half. The Polar Bears capitalized on offensive opportunities to score four consecutive goals. Unwilling to let the game slip away, the women notched three goals of their own. Ferriter and Fulton both earned their second points of the day; co-captain Julia Nawrocki ’09 also scored with 1:54 remaining.

At halftime, the game stood at 5-6 in Bowdoin’s favor. Bowdoin took three more shots on goal than Williams in the first period and also claimed a slight edge in terms of ground balls, picking up 11 compared to the Ephs’ 10.

In the second half, however, the Polar Bears continued to dominate their home field. By hustling on both ends of the field and practicing sound offensive and defensive strategy, Bowdoin scored four goals to pick up a decisive 10-5 lead. The women showed the same determination that they demonstrated after Bowdoin’s first-half four-goal streak, battling to put in two more goals. Katie Ellis ’12 and co-captain Britt Spackman ’09 scored, leading the Ephs in the right direction, but the team never quite caught up. Ellis’ free position shot at 9:32 marked the last goal of the day.

The second half also saw a wave of penalties from both teams. There were only two penalties in the first period, but the teams together racked up a total of seven penalties in the second, resulting in five yellow cards for the Ephs and two yellow cards for the Polar Bears.

Bowdoin maintained the 10-7 score through the end of the game, claiming victory on the foundation of earlier success. Both goalies played the full 60 minutes, with Julia Schreiber ’11 notching nine saves, one more than did Bowdoin’s Steph Collins-Finn.

Williams’ loss in Maine was disappointing, as the team’s conference record fell to 3-4, but the team’s earlier victories speak to the Ephs’ potential.

“I think we are a better team than Bowdoin in many respects, but we did not show it,” Head Coach Julia Nawrocki said of the loss.

The Ephs have three opportunities to compete in the upcoming week. The women will play at Skidmore this afternoon before going on to challenge Wesleyan at home on Saturday and test Springfield in an away game next Tuesday.