Women’s track competes at ECACs

Last weekend, women’s indoor track had an excellent performance at the Div. III Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships (ECACs) at Tufts. While the team had hoped to score higher at the ECACs, Williams still demonstrated its strength on the track. Placing 16th out of 50 teams, Williams scored a total of 20 points and outranked particular rival Amherst, who placed 19th.

Meghan Shea ’11 represented Williams in the mile event. Shea placed fifth and earned four points with a time of 5:05.89. The 55m IH event was largely dominated by junior Elise Johnson ’10, who placed fifth in the preliminary round with a time of 8:50. In the final, Johnson ran an improved time of 8:36, which placed her in third and contributed six points to the team’s total score.

In the 4×400 relay event, team members Hillary Higgs ’12, Lizzy Danhakl ’11, Sara Wild ’11 and Olga Kondratjeva ’10 summoned their sprinting strength to place Williams fourth overall with a time of 3:59.38, notching five more points for the Ephs. Five additional points came from the distance medley relay, which also captured fourth with a time of 12:07.44; Ariel Williams ’10 ran the first 1200 meter leg, and Nora Mitchell ’10, Jessica Clark ’10 and Kondratjeva ran the 400, 800 and 1600 meter legs, respectively.

Although the team was a little disappointed – many members were hoping for times that would make them eligible for Nationals – the Ephs remain proud of their exceptional accomplishments this winter. As the indoor track season wraps up, the team is recharging and preparing for a fresh round of competition. “I think the biggest thing we will be looking for in the spring is to take back the Div. III from MIT, as well as the NESCAC title,” co-captain Lauren Philbrook ’09 said. “I think the team only got better and better as the winter season progressed, and with how determined everyone is right now that will only continue.”

The NCAA Championships are at Indiana on Friday and Saturday for qualified team members, and then the Ephs will turn their full attention to the outdoor season.