Men’s track springs forward

This coming weekend, men’s track and field will compete at the Div. III Indoor Track and Field National Championships held at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Ind. Williams will be represented by co-captain Macklin Chaffee ’09 in the mile and the 4×400 meter relay team of co-captains Deividas Seferis ’09 and Alex Hoerman ’09, Taylor Fitzgerald ’11 and Viktor Nagy ’12.

Rose-Hulman was previously the site of the 2007 national meet which saw Chaffee place ninth as a sophomore, missing his first All-American certificate by one place and .17 seconds (All-Americans are top-eight finishers in all events). Chaffee has since been named All-American three times combined for the indoor and outdoor seasons and will look to pad his resume with another All-American finish this weekend. Chaffee’s converted time of 4:11.01 ranks him fifth in the country entering the meet. The 4×400 team’s converted time of 3:18.06 ranks them fourth in the country, less than one second off of first place. With none of the four relay members entered in individual events, this will be the first time all season that the team will be rested for the relay, hopefully resulting in an All-American finish.

While Chaffee and the 4×400 team are gearing up for the national meet, the rest of the team has turned its attention to the outdoor campaign. After a successful indoor season that saw the Ephs reclaim the Div. III New England title, goals are high for the outdoor season.

“I have national-level aspirations for the team,” Chaffee said. “With three healthy All-American seniors and incredible underclassman potential, we could make this spring something special.”

Along with the indoor national qualifiers, other standout performers from the indoor season include All-American Jeff Perlis ’10 and Brendan Christian ’09 in the long distance events, as well as Geoff Rodriguez ’11, Brian Cole ’11 and Edgar Kosgey ’10 in the middle distances. In the jumps, Steve Rubin ’11, Eric Jonash ’09 and Tomas Kearney ’12 will look to build off their successful indoor seasons and score valuable points for the Ephs, while Matt Farley ’11 also hopes to follow up his third place finish in last year’s NESCAC hammer throw. Rounding out the squad is Stew Buck ’09, who finished second in New England last year in the 400 meter hurdles.

While very talented up front, the Ephs will need inspired performances from the entire roster in order to win NESCAC and New England championships.

“If each athlete, whether their performance ‘ceiling’ is the NESCAC level, NCAA Championships, or somewhere in between, feels motivated and excited to reach those relative heights, then we’ll be successful this year,” Assistant Coach Mitchell Baker said.

The Ephs have been NESCAC champions for the last eight years and 16 out of the last 17 years.