Club cycling begins racing season

The Ephs cycling team competed in their first race of the season last weekend in New Jersey. New member Ceci Davis-Hayes ’11 finished with an impressive second place in the women’s B bracket. Andy St. Louis ’09 and JJ Augenbraum ’11 competed as well, contributing to the team’s 19th place finish in the overall omnium, which included a 2.8-mile time trial, a 25-minute criterium and a road race.

“It was very intense but at the same time there was a fun, friendly vibe,” Davis-Hayes said of her first cycling race.

The race was held on the Rutgers and Princeton campuses, with over 30 teams present from the Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference, including several NESCAC schools and the Ivies.

This is the first race of what is shaping up to be a promising season for the Ephs. This year’s team is made up of both experienced cyclists and new members, many of whom have switched to cycling from other sports. “We have a lot of new members who have natural enthusiasm for the sport,” captain Anouk Dey ’09 said.

The Ephs look forward to the challenging season ahead of them, with a different race nearly every weekend. “I’m really excited about the team’s prospects for this spring,” Davis-Hayes said. New team members are welcome, and students interested in cycling, whether competitively or otherwise, are encouraged to try it out.

This weekend, the team will participate in the Grant’s Tomb Criterium at Columbia.