Women’s golf hopes to climb up national rankings

Women’s golf enters the season with a deep roster that is sure to enjoy success. Four of the five golfers who led the Ephs to an eighth place finish at the National Championships last May return to play for Head Coaches Fran Vandermeer and Josh Hillman. The team holds the No. 12 seed in the pre-season Golf Stat poll.

The Ephs will find their leadership in a group of upperclassmen that includes Melissa Barton ’09, Anne O’Leary ’10, Kristin Nottebohm ’10 and Kait O’Brien ’10. Barton and O’Leary ranked 29th and 57th respectively in the Golf Stat national poll. Barton took home two top-10 finishes this fall, and O’Leary is a tournament-tested competitor who notched a 13th place individual finish at the 2008 National Tournament. Nottebohm scored for the Ephs in three tournaments in the fall while O’Brien sat out after undergoing knee surgery. The Ephs are looking forward to O’Brien’s return; she will be a key scorer for the team. Standout first-year Kristen Tubbs ’12 plans to continue her solid play. Tubbs notched two top-10s last fall at Wellesley and the Williams Fall Classic. The team also expects sophomores Aimee Weber ’11, Lauren Anstey ’11 and Dale Markey ’11 to make an impact this season. Becca Sullivan ’11, Grace Gordon ’12 and Izzy Lee ’12 will round out the squad.

The Ephs will begin their season over spring break with a training trip to the PGA National Training Center in Florida. While in the south, they will also face the Panthers in a one-day match to gauge their early season development. The regular season begins with the Vassar Invitational on April 4, followed by tournaments at Amherst, Williams and Wellesley. This year, the NCAA Championships will take place in Port St. Lucie, Florida from May 13 to 16,

“The ladies know what it will take to reach NCAAs,” Vandermeer said, “and they are ready to begin their work on the course.”