Student escapes stranger’s advances

On Sunday at 1:30 a.m., a female Williams student was walking in the parking lot by Lansing-Chapman Rink and Facilities when an unidentified male offered to give her a ride.

The man, described as white with short brown or black hair and in his early 30s, was driving a metallic gray or silver car. In the car, he tried to molest the student, but she was able to leave the car and run to a safe off-campus location.
According to Jean Thorndike, director of Campus Safety and Security, friends of the student called the Williamstown Police Department (WPD), who then called Security at 5:18 a.m.

The student did not report any physical injuries. Security and WPD are investigating the incident further.
“Although [incidents like this one] don’t happen that often here, we have had cases in the past – Williams is not crime free,” Thorndike said. “It’s fortunate that there was no serious injury.” She urged students to break free of the “mindset that Williams is so tranquil” and take precautions to ensure their safety.

Student escorts are available every night until 2 a.m. and Security officers will escort students after 2 a.m.
Blue light phones with emergency buttons that call Security are located around campus.
Thorndike also asked for anyone with information about this incident to contact Security or WPD.