Men’s golf sets sight on NESCACs, NCAAs

With the snow finally starting to melt, men’s golf has begun preparing for what it hopes will be a strong spring season. The Ephs will get the ball rolling with a spring break trip to Port St. Lucie, Fla., where they will compete in the Sunshine Invitational on March 26-27. The Palamountain and Williams Invitationals in April will serve as preparation for the NESCAC Championship. A top-four finish in the fall of 2008 at the NESCAC Qualifier secured the team a spot in the championship, to be played at Middlebury in late April. With the season in full swing, the Ephs will vie for a bid to return to the NCAA Div. III National Championship in May.

The team’s prospects for nationals look good, as Coach Rick Pohle and co-captains Matt Felser ’09 and Tyler Zara ’09 are leading an impressive team into the season. As of fall 2008, Zara and Jack Killea ’11 each earned All-NESCAC honors for the second time in their Williams golf careers. Felser and Zara will be joined by seniors Chris Chiang ’09, Rahul Bahl ’09, Galen Jackson ’09, Logan Gerrity ’09 and David Ramsay ’09, all returning for their final seasons. Sophomores Killea, Drew Murray ’11, Jake Wagner ’11 and Bob Camp ’11 and first-years Siwol Chiang ’12 and Chris Valle ’12 serve to round out the Ephs’ strong spring roster.

“We will be looking to establish better consistency throughout our line-up in order to contend for the NESCAC Championship and the automatic berth into the NCAA that comes with it. Also, that will assist us in securing another Little Three title, which is very important to our players,” Pohle said.