Men’s crew anticipates ECACs, NEs

Men’s crew is back in season after three months of short days and long workouts. The monotony of hours spent erging was punctuated by running and endurance weights. The team tested its fitness by rowing in last month’s Ergathon, a fundraising workout for the spring break training trip.

Half of the squad also competed in the World Indoor Rowing Championships at Boston University’s Agganis Arena on Feb. 22. Dan Kenefick ’11 claimed second place in the Under-23 Lightweights category, a supreme achievement in the rowing world and an honor for the College’s program.

Head Coach Ben Lewis has felt encouraged by the results of the team’s winter training thus far. “Everyone has set a personal best on either the 15 minute test or the 2k while there has only been some sickness and injury,” he said. The squad remains largely the same from the fall, though a few athletes have left while a few others have joined.

This Saturday, winter training culminates with the sport’s toughest event – the 2000 meter ergometer test. This six to seven minute test is analogous to a spring race and measures maximum speed and fitness.
A week later, the crew team will head to Myrtle Beach, S.C. for spring training. The team’s record fundraising year made a substantial impact in covering the trip’s $61,000 cost. Spring break will consist of multiple practices per day addressing both technique and conditioning. “We put in a lot of hard work over the winter and we’ll see where it takes us,” co-captain Andy Ward ’09 said. The two weeks on the water will also determine boat placement.

Following spring break training, the team will compete in a scrimmage against Harvard, a Div. I rowing school. From then on, the season will be in full swing. “Each week will be more important than the one before,” Lewis said.

After numerous smaller races competing against only a few schools, the season will culminate with the New England Championships and the ECAC Championship regatta in early May. The freshman squad has an identical competition schedule. Able recruits and promising walk-ons are sure to demonstrate great racing under the leadership of freshman squad coach Colin Regan.

Both squads are most eager to spar with Trinity. Under Coach Larry Gluckman, Trinity has traditionally been the Ephs’ chief rival in both the fall and spring seasons. The first varsity boat barely defeated Trinity’s crew at the Head of the Charles in Boston last fall. With its 2000 meter races, the spring promises to bring even smaller spreads and more exciting races.