Students are hungry for a new meal plan

The recently unsuccessful campaign for College Council co-presidents by the ticket that didn’t manage to beat Lizzy Brickley ’10 and Mike Tcheyan ’10 was important. It drew my attention to the crucial issue of eating at Williams. As an overworked, under-inspired Williams student, I feel it is important for me to have a singular domination and control over every aspect of my life. Assignments, relationships and of course dining are all subject to the most intense scrutiny; all this in order to ensure that not a single minute is wasted. I am, however, driven to wonder how this attention to detail can occur when my dining points do not roll over from week to week, or indeed, day to day. I believe that my gripes were addressed superlatively by Nick Daen ’10 and Marc Pulde’s ’10 campaign platform: If Wesleyan can do it, why can’t we? Gone are the days where students used to dream of endless vacations or fleece sweaters that don’t pill. Truly, every modern utopia is incomplete without a “cash card” system, a system able to cater to every student’s gastronomic fantasies.

Now, I understand that certain people at Williams have mentioned that this kind of system is “economically unreasonable.” Mentions of “marginal cost” and “overhead” meet my eyes every time I open up WSO. I must confess I don’t know what any of this means. As a result, my angry rant in support of a cash card system is entirely intuitive.

Think about it: what does a cash card system actually mean? Yes, it’s about having a sushi fun night. Yes, it means you can miss meals on weekends and not feel like you’re biting the hand that feeds you. But nobler than either of these ideals is that of satisfaction. A well-fed campus means a happy campus. A happy campus is motivated. Motivated equals successful. Williams, do you see what I see? Do you see soaring GPAs? Paradigm productivity? You should. Unprecedented acceptances into prestigious post-graduate institutions will be the order of the day. “Williams” will be the name on everyone’s lips. The world will be your oyster – all because you could have it your way. Now, who’s going to tell me that’s an unreasonable perspective? Yes, it might be difficult to achieve. Heck, it might be downright improbable. But remember – Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Norman Walczak ’12