Club volleyball suffers 3 defeats

Club volleyball competed in interdivisional play at Brandeis this weekend to finish the season. Despite a resilient performance against their final two opponents, the Ephs finished the day at an unrepresentative 0-3 to close their season at 3-7 (3-5 in the NECVL).

In contrast to previous tournaments, the squad began sluggishly, falling to CCSU by 15-25 and 8-25. A barrage of tough serves from the top-ranked NECVL team prevented the Eph offense from getting off the ground, while solid outside and middle hits left Williams blockers scrambling.

Co-captain Angelo Terra ’09, however, helped the Ephs come out strong in their remaining two matches. Led by Terra and setter Jason Yeoun ’10, the team dominated a respectable Maine squad 25-15 and looked to be sailing to a win until late into the second game. Scrappy play was once again Williams’ trademark, with smart use of strategy across the court. However, a late surge from Maine unseated the men’s steady position, resulting in a 25-27 overtime defeat and a hard-fought 12-15 loss in the final game.

The team still found a way to click in the third match against Stone Hill, in which the Williams squad again looked as impressive as it has all year. Pawel Langer ’12 found his new spot in the middle, filling in for absent big-man Zac Remillard ’12, while Jacob Cerny ’09 similarly stepped up his performance in the outside slot. Nevertheless, a bad case of déjà-vu swept the court as the Ephs again lost in three sets – 17-25, 25-18, 12-15.

Though bad luck seemed to tip the scales, the Ephs made a strong effort. “Even though we were missing a few key players this weekend, some of us really stepped it up,” co-captain Matt Law ’10 said. “We played with a lot of heart and unfortunately caught some tough breaks – [The day] just as easily could have ended 2-1.”

While the standings may not show it, the short season has still left the Ephs very excited by the next season’s prospects. The team has already felt the leadership of new players like Langer and experienced strong side hitter Noah Goldberg ’12. The team has similarly witnessed leaps of improvement from weak-side hitter Andrew Kelly ’12 and strong-side hitter Luc Robinson ’12. These players can only improve with experience in the coming years.

“Going into the year, we were certainly a bit worried about the future of the organization,” Law said. “I think we are all amazed at how far we’ve come in such a short amount of time, something other teams are definitely keeping a close eye on.”

Students should keep an eye out as well. To continue its expansion and to share the love of the game with new participants, the team plans to host a beach volleyball league this spring.