Two Subways slated to reappear in Williamstown

Plans are in the works for a new shopping center to open at 384 Main St. in Williamstown. The center will house a new Subway, slated to open in early March, and another branch of the popular restaurant chain is planned to open on Spring Street in May.

The building is owned by Mainwill Associates LLC and previously functioned as a Burger King and an Alcaro Rent-A-Car. Since then, the location has more than doubled in size, now boasting more than 8,000 square feet. Approximately half of the building’s space is still open, and Mainwill Associates is still looking for businesses to fill the location.

Currently, the building is set to include Royal Cleaners and Wash and Wi-Fi in addition to Subway. This is the first Subway to open in Williamstown since the fire on Spring Street in March 2007 that forced the coffee shop A Perfect Blend, Subway and the Purple Pub to close. The fire, which started in the basement of A Perfect Blend, nearly destroyed the foundations of the three shops.

Since then, students have had to travel to North Adams in order to get their Subway fix. This might change soon, however, since in addition to the one at the new Main Street shopping center, Subway plans to open a new branch at 31 Spring St. this May in the space vacated by LiAsia Gallery, according to Brigesh Patel, owner of the North Adams and imminent Main Street branches, quoted in the North Adams Transcript.

The other change coming to Spring Street will be the absence of Royal Cleaners. There are currently two Royal Cleaners in Williamstown: one on Spring Street, and the other at the Colonial Plaza on Main Street, as well as one in North Adams, and another two in Pittsfield.

The owner, Jeff Kurpaska, wants to move both Williamstown branches into the new Main Street location, combining the two drop-off stores into one larger operation in order to better suit his customers.

“We operate two Williamstown locations presently, so the move is actually a consolidation,” Kurpaska said. “We’ll be moving to Route 2 into the former Alcaro Auto building across from Dunkin’ Donuts.” He added that he does not think the move will detract from student patronage. “We’re hoping for an increase in student business at our new location. The new building will also have a laundromat, which may bring students in. We’re also in discussion with the College about a way to pick up laundry from students on campus, but that’s still to be determined.”

Kurpaska commented on the opening of the cleaners’ new location, saying, “The construction of the new building was affected by the really cold weather we had in December and January. We’re waiting for the town to grant a temporary certificate of occupancy, and we’re hoping to be able to move by mid-March at the latest.”