Despite break from tradition, Winter Carnival a major hit

Winter Carnival was quite a success this year! Months ago, the Williams Outing Club (WOC) board was presented with the annual challenge of organizing Winter Carnival. This year, there was the additional challenge of not hosting the ski races, the traditional reason for having the day off from classes. Left without the races, WOC board members directed their enthusiasm instead to the new goal of simply appreciating winter in Williamstown. The Wizards and Blizzards theme was chosen, breaking from the traditional cow-pun themes of Winter Carnival of past years. From the unintentionally themed events like the Yule Ball and the Hypnotist, to the intentional formation of the Great Hall from the Harry Potter series for the Paresky Birthday party, there was great support from a variety of groups on campus.

Within the board, each member had an event that he or she was particularly invested in. This ranged from the bonfire to the cross-country ski race to human curling to ice sculpting. Joe Skitka ’10 and I worked to coordinate all of these smaller events, in addition to setting up the opening ceremonies faculty talent show and the Harry and the Potters concert.

This year WOC has really strove both to provide Winter Carnival events that all sorts of students would want to attend and to give the campus a true carnival feel. Although it was beyond the typical WOC mission to involve outside people, I think that events such as the Harry and the Potters concert and our commitment to the Wizards and Blizzards theme were a big part of the success of Winter Carnival this year. The event really came together as a whole with well-attended events where students got to get outside and have some fun as well as stay inside for some carnival fun. Such an amazing Winter Carnival as this could not have happened without amazing support from co-organizer Joe Skitka, the entire WOC board, ACE, the neighborhoods, the Ski and Snowboard Club, the faculty, Office of Campus Life, the weather and all the students!

Leah Lansdowne ’11