Students challenge tenure decision (continued)

We are disappointed that Professor Nathan Sanders was not among those recommended for tenure last month. Professor Sanders is an outstanding instructor who inspires many of the students who cross his path to drop everything and pursue linguistics from a standing start. There are still more of us who did not pursue the linguistics contract major but believe nonetheless that our intellectual experiences at Williams were profoundly enriched by Professor Sanders’ instruction.

It is a joy to be in his classroom. He conducts classes with an enthusiasm that is infectious and that few professors can match. It is also our sincere belief as non-majors that smaller programs like linguistics are essential to the Williams liberal arts experience. He has brought a rigorous and intellectually stimulating discipline into our lives, and we hope the College will afford him the opportunity to do for many more Ephs what he has done for us.

Finally, we must stress that Professor Sanders has fully embraced his place in the Williams community. Apart from participating in structured venues such as being a member on the Dively Committee or dropping by Dodd Neighborhood events, he has invited students over for board games, edited the Willipedia and accepted invitations to informal gatherings. He has embraced a role as a full member of the Williams community.
We strongly urge the faculty and administrators charged with tenure decisions to reverse their decision and recommend Professor Sanders for tenure. He is, in all respects, what we understand an ideal Williams professor to be.

Andrew Goldston ’09
Joseph Shoer ’06