Women’s track and field dominates MIT and Coast Guard

Women’s indoor track and field finished a strong first place on Friday at MIT, scoring 213.50 points to top both MIT and Coast Guard.

“In typical women’s team fashion, they competed with poise despite preliminary scores that could have given them reason to tense up,” said Head Coach Fletcher Brooks.
While MIT placed first in the 55 meter hurdles, Williams made an impressive showing with Elise Johnson ’10, Katie DuPre ’10 and Karyn Moss ’12 finishing in second, third and fourth places, respectively.

In the 55 meter dash, Hillary Higgs ’12 led the event decisively with a time of 7.48 seconds. Higgs took another first place in the 200 with a time of 26.07, and teammates Johnson and Anne Kerth ’11 followed close behind to place third and fourth with respective times of 27.23 and 27.69.

In the 600, Williams swept the competition in perhaps the most dominant team performance. Sara Wild ’11 took first with a time of 1:38.79 and was closely followed by Nora Mitchell ’10, who finished in 1:39.50. Kathie Nyholm ’11, Maya Harakawa ’12, and Alysha McElroy ’11 rounded out the top five.

Though MIT placed first in the 800, Williams outran its opponents in the 1000 meter event. Ariel Williams ’10 earned first place with a time of 3:04.27. Teammates Natalie Davis ’12, Heather Bemis ’09, Olga Kondratjeva ’10 and Olivia Delia ’12 took places third through sixth to help Williams earn a total of 17 points for the event.

In the one mile run, while MIT placed first, Julie McNamara ’09 and Kondratjeva ran well with respective times of 5:15.37 and 5:16.97 to place second and fourth. Meghan Shea ’11 dictated the 3000, finishing in 10:29.21.

The depth of the team was also evident in the 4×400 meter relay. With a time of 4:11.38, Williams beat the runner up Coast Guard team by 14 seconds. In the 4×800 meter relay, however, the Engineers pulled first place with a time 9:48.73, leaving the Ephs in second place.

The Ephs relied on team ability and individual talent to realize their victory. “We had a few standout performances, particularly from the freshmen,” co-captain Lauren Philbrook ’09 said. Philbrook herself had an outstanding performance in the 5000, placing first with a time of 17:30.37.

Williams proved powerful on the field events as well. Sara Turner ’11 dominated the high jump event, reaching an impressive height of 1.56 meters. The Ephs performed respectably in the pole vault and shot put events, showing particular strength in the weight throw with Madeleine Watson ’12 throwing a distance of 11.86 meters.

The Ephs have exciting opportunities to step up in the weeks ahead. With another strong victory under its belt, the team looks ahead to more competition in Boston, with the Boston University Invitational on Friday and another the MIT Co-ed Invitational on Saturday.