Skiing finishes 5th at UVM

After placing fifth and sixth overall at the first two carnivals of the season and garnering 12 top-10 results, including two podium finishes by alpine skier Alex Dyroff ’10, the ski team reached the halfway point of its season with a fifth place finish at the UVM Carnival.

The men’s nordic team turned in a breakthrough performance at UVM last week, placing third as a group both days. Dimitri Luthi ’12 and Alex Taylor ’10 turned in career-best races, as well as the top results for the men’s team since 2001. In Saturday’s freestyle race, Taylor led the men’s team with a 6th place finish, with Keith Kantack ’11 close behind in 13th.  Sam Kapala ’09 and Evan Dethier ’11 finished two seconds apart to take 20th and 21st. 

Difficult conditions on Su8bday provided an interesting twist for the classical races. Luthi led the men’s team with a historic third place finish, reaching the podium with All-American athletes from UVM and Dartmouth. Kapala matched his career-best performance from the previous weekend with an impressive 12th place finish, with Kantack closing out the scoring in 17th.

The women’s nordic team finished seventh in both races. Alice Nelson ’10 led the women’s team on Saturday with a 14th place finish in the freestyle race, followed up by Kirsten Johnson ’11 in 21st and Fiona Worcester ’09 in 27th. The women got the worst of the extreme weather conditions on Sunday morning, battling stiff headwinds and blowing sleet. Worcester led the women with her 20th place finish, with Johnson right behind in 22nd and Liz Kantack ’09 in 28th place.

Williams did well in the alpine events as well. The men’s team was led by Eric Mann ’09 and Dyroff. In the Giant Slalom (GS), Mann and Dyroff finished 7th and 8th, respectively, contributing valuable points to the team. Providing the team with the third and final team result was Alex Reeves ’11, finishing 28th. As a team, men’s alpine finished 5th on the day. In the slalom, Dyroff finished a strong 6th place, with Mann close behind in 9th. Rounding out the top three men was, again, Reeves with a 20th place finish, giving the men’s team a 4th place team finish.

The women’s teams, also looked to continue the early season success. In the GS, Kelsey Levine ’10 led the women with a 9th place finish. She was joined by Laurel Carter ’12 and Emily Porter ’10, who finished 16th and 20th respectively. The women’s team finished 6th place in the GS. In the slalom, Levine again headed the charge, with a 14th place finish. Nipping at her heels were both Carter and Porter, finishing a close 16th and 17th, respectively, for a 6th place team finish. Levine’s strong performances have gained both the respect and envy of her teammates. “It’s pretty simple, I wish I could ski as fast as she does,” Will Hadden ’12 said.

The ski team continues racing at the Dartmouth Carnival on Friday.