Men’s swimming tests strength at MIT Invitational

In its last meet before the NESCAC championships, men’s swimming put its training to the test amongst rivals such as MIT, Tufts, Middlebury, Wheaton and St. Michael’s at the MIT Invite on Friday and Saturday. Though the meet was not scored and failed to see the Ephs take as many top finishes as they have in a standard dual meet, the swimmers held together and demonstrated their depth.

In the opening 400 medley relay, MIT and Tufts snatched first through sixth places, while the Williams team of co-captain Thatcher Heumann ’09, Timothy Ryan ’09, Quinn Sievers ’09 and Austin Stanley ’09 took seventh.

Jeremy Goldstein ’09 came through for the Ephs in the 1000 yard freestyle with a time of 10:04.97. He finished second to Tufts’ Andrew Vidikan by .15. Heumann raced in similar fashion in the next individual event, the 400 yard IM; he took second to MIT’s Tim Sumbaugh by .10. Jordan Hollander ’10 finished fourth in the event. The Ephs then clinched fifth in the 400 yard freestyle relay, with the Jumbos sweeping the first four places.

In the three-meter diving, Alex Long ’12 and Chris Milliken ’10 took third and fourth, respectively. Long earned second behind Tufts’ Robert Matera in the one-meter event.
The 200 yard medley relay of Hollander, Sievers, Norman Scott ’09 and Gary Roberson ’11 placed third with a time of 1:38.88 behind Tufts and MIT. The next event, the 200 yard freestyle, was the strongest for the Ephs. Scott claimed a decisive first place with a time of 1:44.35, and Heumann just missed third by a tenth of a second. Senior Dan Doran ’12 placed seventh.

Scott earned first place for the Ephs in the 400 yard IM with a time of 4:19.51 and the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:44.35. In the 200 yard backstroke, Doran finished third behind two MIT first-years. Goldstein scored another second place finish in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:53.83, and teammate Marrano rounded out the top five.

In the final relay event of the meet, the 200 yard freestyle, Williams touched out MIT to finish third behind Tufts and Middlebury. The relay, composed of Doran, Heumann, Worth MacDonald ’11 and Roberson, swam a time of 1:30.25.

Though this unscored meet may seem less official on paper than previous dual meets, it offered a very real opportunity to prepare for future challenges. “The team will face some stiff competition from Tufts and Amherst at NESCACs in three weeks but we are determined to repeat as conference champs,” co-captain Tyler Bonewell ’09 said.

Head Coach Steve Kuster reinforced the importance of the rest of the training season. “In the next couple of weeks, we need to get healthy and get ready to try to defend our NESCAC title, which will probably be the toughest test the men have had in 3 or 4 years,” Kuster said.

The Ephs now have a period of unbroken training before competing at the NESCAC Championships at Wesleyan on Feb. 27.