Men’s squash wins Little Threes

Last weekend men’s squash (9-7, 6-1 in the NESCAC) traveled to Wesleyan to play the Cardinals and the Jeffs in the Little Three Championships. The Ephs were the heavy favorite to dominate in both matchups and win their 11th straight title. “We have beaten Amherst and Wesleyan the last three years with increasingly decisive scores,” co-captain Bucky Marshall ’09 said prior to the matches. “With our recent wins over Navy, Bates and Brown, we look to take Little Threes again and carry that momentum to nationals.”

Even though the team has historically played brilliantly at Little Threes, Amherst and Wesleyan proved to be tough opponents. Before the match the team weighed in their opponents. “This weekend looks to be a great opportunity for us,” co-captain George Miller ’09 declared earlier in the week. “We always like playing Little Threes, and in recent years we have begun to win more and more decisively. This year it looks like there is some real talent at the top of Amherst’s line up, so we’re going to have to start it off strong. Wesleyan, on the other hand, shouldn’t be extremely tough.”

As this weekend showed, the team had no need to be nervous, even though they had to play both opponents on the same day with a short respite between matches. The Ephs completely destroyed the Cardinals 9-0 at noon, and a mere two hours later they were able to annihilate the Jeffs 9-0, displaying their excellent fitness and shot-making ability.

The Ephs’ strong showing at Little Threes capped off a great regular season that saw the men go 7-7 overall, and 4-1 in the NESCAC. A definite highlight of the season was the last dual meet, in which Williams displayed superior fitness and raw talent, destroying Brown 8-1 last Wednesday. “In terms of our match against Brown, I would say that it was as least as decisive as the score indicates,” Miller said. “When you see our No. 1 keep their No. 1 from scoring a single match in the point, that’s when you see how decisive the feel of the match was.”

Even though the majority of the matches were one-sided victories, there were a few thrillers, like the four-set win of Will Gruner ’11 over Brad Thompson and the five-set victory of Jeremy Herrmann ’11 over Alex Heitzmann. The two sophomores played in the fourth and eighth positions, respectively.

Despite suffering numerous injuries and sicknesses, the Ephs were able to play magnificently. “All nine players played great, and we left no doubt who was the better team,” said Head Coach Zafi Levy.

With such great recent results, the Ephs are confident going into the National Championships at Princeton on Feb. 20. Their great momentum, talent and conditioning will surely manifest itself into a strong showing from the entire lineup.