Men’s track takes 2nd place at MIT Invite

Men’s track and field traveled to Boston this Saturday to take part in the MIT Invitational. Coming into competition, the Ephs were aware of the depth of the Engineers. The team knew that they would have to be on top of their games to leave the Howard Johnson Center victorious.

Stew Buck ’09 jumpstarted Williams in the right direction, finishing second place in the 55 meter hurdles. Sprinting sensation and team co-captain Deividas Seferis ’09 finished second in the 55 meter dash, clocking in at time of 6.70 seconds. His fellow sprinters were not far behind, with Taylor Fitzgerald ’11, Eric Jonash ’09 and Jamal Jefferson ’11 rounding out the top five.

As the day progressed the sprinters continued to show the depth of the group. Victor Nagy ’12 finished second in the 200 with a time of 23.67 seconds. Fitzgerald capped his day with blazing victory in the 400 in a time of 50.67 seconds, with Seferis coming in at a close second.

The Ephs proved that they were not only lightning fast, but also strong as oxen, with Matt Farley ’11 finishing second in the weight throw with a distance of 13.88 meters. Steve Rubin ’11 soared to third place in the long jump with a distance of 6.54 meters. Rounding out a day of three great performances, Nagy finished second in the 600 with a time of 1.23.

The team did not stop there. The distance runners, led by co-captain Macklin Chaffee ’09 proved that they were the force to be reckoned with. Chaffee had an excellent day claiming second in both the 800 meter run and the one-mile with times of 1.58 and 4.19. Brian Cole ’11 zoomed to victory in the 1000 meter run in a time of 2.34, with Edgar Kosgey ’10 snagging third place only hundredths of seconds behind Cole. Jeff Perlis ’10 finished third in the one mile run in a time of 4.22.

With the races increasing in distance, the Ephs displayed their endurance. Christian Brendan ’09 finished third in the 3K in a time of 8.54 and Corey Watts ’10 finished second in the 5K in a time of 15.40.

Although Williams performed exceptionally well, they ended the day in second place with a team point total of 117.50, allowing MIT to nudge past them at the finishing line by posting a team point total of 171. Coast Guard, also participating in the meet, finished with a team point total of 87.50. The men will continue to work hard this week in preparation for the Boston University Invitational, a qualifying test for Div. III New England’s hosted by MIT on Feb. 21.