Queer Film Festival a major success

This weekend has been for me one of the loveliest in recent memory here at Williams for, among other wonderful things, one particular reason: the Queer Film Festival. Some of the highlights for me have been feeding my addiction to yelling obscenities during the screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and seeing both John Cameron Mitchell’s Shortbus and Hedwig and the Angry Inch and then seeing Mitchell himself host a Q & A session regarding his films. Mitchell was particularly fantastic. He was down to earth, frank, honest, funny and spared us, the audience, a lot of bull. More importantly, though, I like to think of this event as one of the more successful attempts made by an organization on this campus to reach across divisive lines regarding sexuality and sexual orientation. I was very pleased to see many people who do not identify as queer or who traditionally do not attend QSU-sponsored events at the film festival, which I found to be something for everybody to enjoy. I would like to end by giving a shout-out thanks to the Dively Committee for sponsoring this ongoing event (films will be playing through tomorrow), Justin Adkins, queer life coordinator, and all of those who attended and enjoyed the films. I’d also like to encourage all who are the least bit interested to see at least one screening before the festival ends on Thursday! 

David Gold ’12