Women’s swimming controls tri-meet to keep perfect record

Women’s swimming and diving (7-0, 4-0 in the NESCAC) dominated Saturday’s tri-meet, topping Tufts (5-1, 3-1 in the NESCAC) 219-77 and Wesleyan (7-3, 2-4 in the NESCAC) 219-77.

“We had several of our top swimmers out due to illnesses, but still managed a dominating performance,” co-captain Amanda Nicholson ’09 said. “I was pleased with our team’s performance and the way our swimmers stepped up to fill missing spots.”

The Ephs outswam both the Jumbos and Cardinals in the opening 200 medley relay, winning first place with a time of 1:58.19. The women also scraped a third-place finish in the event, edging out Wesleyan by less than half a second. Distance swimmers Mary Wilson Molen ’09 and Lauren Goldstein-Kral ’12 also earned first and third places, respectively, in the 1650 yard freestyle.

Perhaps the most impressive Eph showing appeared in the 200 freestyle race. Logan Todhunter ’12, Kathleen Morrison ’12 and Christina Metcalf ’10 swept the 200 yard freestyle decisively, earning first, second and third place with the next closest Tufts competitor finishing two and a half seconds behind.

Though Cara Madden won the 100 yard backstroke for the Cardinals, the Ephs came through with second through fifth place, scoring the rest of the points available in the race. The women ended the first half with great momentum, placing first in the 100 yard breaststroke, 200 yard butterfly and 50 yard freestyle.

Tufts took the top two scores in one meter diving, with Lindsay Gardel scoring 255.55 points and Kelsey Bell scoring 224.70 points. Taylor Stevens ’11 earned a close third for the women with a score of 224.25. Teammate Kera McClelland ’10 rounded out the top five, earning 207.70 points.

When the swimming resumed, Wesleyan swimmer Janine Zaltsman won the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 55.46 seconds, but the women’s depth proved valuable once again as Ryan McChesney ’11 and Bonnie Patchen ’12 finished second and third.

Todhunter and Metcalf won the 200 yard backstroke and 200 yard breaststroke respectively. Nicholson finished first in the 500 yard freestyle by a sizeable margin of seven seconds; Morrison placed second. Lisa Cucolo ’10 won the 100 yard butterfly, and though Tufts and Wesleyan split second through fourth places, Claire Monroy ’09 slipped into the top five.

Three meter diving followed a similar pattern as the earlier round; Jumbos Gardel and Bell took first and second, while the Ephs took third through fifth.

The women next swim Saturday, Jan. 24 at 1 p.m. against Springfield at home, followed an away meet against Middlebury Jan. 31.