Eight seniors win fellowships for graduate study in England

The thought of leaving college and academia behind is an idea that plagues most college seniors. However, for eight seniors at the College who have won prestigious fellowships to study in at Oxford and Cambridge next year, that time has been extended. Helen Hatch ’09, Jeffrey Kaplan ’09, Teng Jian Khoo ’09, Lindsay Moore ’09, Susan Raich ’09, Kenny Taubenslag ’09 and Kevin Waite ’09 have won the Herschel Smith fellowship, and Anouk Dey ’09 was awarded the Donovan-Moody fellowship.

Dr. Herschel Smith founded a scholarship that allows Williams students to study at Emmanuel College in Cambridge University for two years after graduation. At Emmanuel College, the students normally obtain two masters degrees and have the freedom to study classes outside of their concentration.

Originally the Herschel fellowship was given to only two Williams students each year. After the College donated a building to Cambridge, however, the Herschel fellowship chose to accommodate more Williams students. Due to the growing number of fellows each year, there is now a small but thriving Williams community within Cambridge. Each of the eight seniors has his or her own individual plan for the next two years, and all of them share some desire to pursue activities and sports they have been involved in for the past four years while following their academic interests.

Kaplan, a philosophy major from Paramus, N.J., plans on obtaining his M.Phil. his first year and then working for his M.Lit. during his second year at Cambridge. Along with about half of the other winners of this fellowship, Kaplan participated in the Williams Exeter Programme.

While studying at Oxford, Kaplan visited friends who were also Herschel Smith scholars and enjoyed the community at Cambridge. Kaplan said he is looking forward to meeting other Cambridge students by joining the crew team there, as he did in Oxford. After Cambridge, Kaplan said that he hopes to work for his Ph.D. in philosophy at an American university. “It would be perfect if I could return to Williams one day as a philosophy professor,” he said.

Hatch also spent her junior year in the Williams-Exeter program and is eager to return. Hatch is an art history major from Locust Valley, N.Y. and has interned at the Williams College Museum of Art, Fox News Channel and Smart Money Magazine. She will work towards an M.Phil. in art history at Cambridge.

Waite, a history and English double major and Pasadena, Calif. native, will be studying in England for the first time. He plans on studying European history his first year at Cambridge at the undergraduate school and then working towards his M.Phil. in American literature during his second year. Waite is looking forward to taking only tutorials and plans on prolonging his rugby career by joining the Emmanuel College Rugby Club. Waite said he hopes eventually to obtain a Ph.D. in history and possibly become a professor.

During his first year, Taubenslag, a chemistry and English double major, hopes to study 18th century and romantic literature and then obtain an M.Phil. in American literature during his second year. For Taubenslag, who is from Morgantown, W.Va., England is the farthest away from home he has ever been. He is currently on the tennis team at the College and hopes to play for the squad at Cambridge.

Khoo, a physics major from Penang, Malaysia, captains the fencing team at the College and hopes to bring his foil to Cambridge as well. His ultimate goal is to earn a Ph.D. in experimental high-energy physics. Currently, his work at the College consists of research in particle physics and theoretical biophysics.

Moore, a psychology major, returns to England after studying at the Sameuli-Rockefeller Institute for International Policy and Ethics at Oxford University. The founder of the Williams College Center for Public Affairs and Civic Engagement and the Williams College Roosevelt Institution, Moore is a Williamstown native who is also a Class of 1960 Scholar. While at Emmanuel College, she will be working towards a Ph.D. in neuroscience under the guidance of Dr. Susan Jones.

Hailing from Oakton, Va., Raich participated in the Williams-Exeter Programme last year and returns to England to obtain an M.Phil. in medieval history. The tutorials on medieval history that she took while at the Oxford opened her eyes to the subject. “I loved studying medieval history at Oxford,” Raich said, “and so continuing those studies at Cambridge seemed like a logical next step.”

Raich noted that Cambridge is a fitting place for her academic interests mainly because parts of the campus are over 800 years old and it houses many original medieval manuscripts in Latin. When not translating 900-year-old manuscripts, Raich plans to row for Cambridge and tour the area.

Another Rhodes scholarship finalist among the fellowship winners, Dey will be heading to Oxford for the Dorothy H. Donovan Memorial Fellowship. This fellowship was founded by Hedley Donovan to support Williams graduates at Oxford.

A member of the varsity ski team, captain of the cycling team and member of the varsity crew team, Dey is also political science major from Toronto, Ontario. She co-authored “Henry Cabot Lodge’s Role in the Vietnam War” with James McAllister, professor of political science. While at Oxford, Dey will work towards earning her M.Phil. in international relations.