Alpine, nordic skiing looks forward to upcoming carnivals

Alpine and nordic skiing has strong returners and promising first-years for its upcoming 2009 season. The alpine ski team is the deepest and largest team in recent memory, with co-captains Kelly Kirkpatrick ’09 and Jim Whitledge ’09 leading a team of 26 talented and competitive skiers. Fellow classmates Eirik Melbye Buraas ’09, Ian Simmons ’09, Jake Koshland ’09 and two-time All American Eric Mann ’09 plan to set the tone for the rest of the team.

Liz McClure ’10 and NCAA qualifiers Kelsey Levine ’10 and Emily Porter ’10 returning will also help lead the large alpine squad. Adam Carman ’10, Taylor Goller ’10 and NCAA qualifier Alex Dyroff ’10 complete this skillful group.

After some great skiing and solid early season results, carnival regulars Alex Reeves ’11, Annie Hanson ’11, Jeff Putnam ’11, Geoff McCrossan ’11 and Aimee Weber ’11 are set to have a significant impact on the carnival circuit this year.

Nine lively first-year skiers look to add youth and enthusiasm to the already ambitious and competitive team. Will Hadden ’12, Whitney Mikell ’12, Nick Tomczyk ’12 and Sean Cummiskey ’12 will provide a huge boost to the men’s team. Meanwhile, Laurel Carter ’12 from the US Ski Team, Katy Kirkpatrick ’12, Amy McLaughlin ’12, Hannah Mangham ’12 and Jennifer Morrison ’12 add significant depth to the women’s team, as well as great talent, which will not go unrewarded.

The nordic ski team has many valuable upperclassmen returning, a motivated and fit sophomore class, and a talented group of freshmen working in its favor this year. Fiona Worcester ’09, Emily Olsen ’09, Liz Kantack ’09 and Sam Kapala ’09 form the small senior class that will lead the Ephs this season. Worcester, who recently returned from racing at US Nationals, is a consistent team scorer. Olsen is working through a leg injury, but she, Worcester, Kantack and Kapala will all look to conclude their Williams careers on a high note.

Alex Taylor ’10, the top team finisher at last weekend’s UNH Criterium, and Alice Nelson ’10, a 2008 NCAA qualifier, have already proven themselves consistent contributors to the team. They led the team in many races in 2008, and will be counted upon to perform well this season.

Sophomores Evan Dethier ’11, Keith Kantack ’11, Caleb Lucy ’11 and 2008 NCAA qualifier Kirsten Johnson ’11 have all positioned themselves near the top of the Ephs’ lineup in early season racing and should figure prominently into the team scoring this season. Classmates Maddy Wendt ’11, Sarah Tory ’11, Gabby Joffe ’11, Amy Nolan ’11, Robby Cuthbert ’11 and Dave Hansen ’11 will back them up and be called upon to contribute to the nordic team performance in races and training.

A freshmen class of five racers should add strong results for the team this season. Erik Anderson ’12, Nick Fogel ’12, Dimitri Luthi ’12, Hannah Hausman ’12 and Holly Whitney ’12 have all shown their strength and extensive high school experience early in the season and are all welcome additions to the team this year.

The ski team opens its season at the Bates Carnival on Friday.