Men’s swimming kicks off season with win over Camels

Men’s swimming and diving began its season with a 166-112 victory over NESCAC opponent Conn. College last Saturday. The returning conference champs will have much tougher rivals to conquer as the season progresses, but Saturday’s meet was an important step in the direction of their goal of a seventh consecutive NESCAC championship.

“Going into this meet, we had this mentality where we weren’t quite sure how it was going to turn out,” Jeremy Goldstein ’09 said. “Our coach, in a meeting before the meet, thought that it was going to be very close. But everyone stepped up, and the freshmen especially did very well; that bodes well for the season, because we do have a lot of depth. We lost some stars last year and our depth is going to make up for that fact.”

Williams, led by Gary Roberson ’11, looked especially strong in Saturday’s distance events. In the 1000 yard freestyle, Roberson finished first with a time of 10:06.38, followed closely by Goldstein and David Thompson ’11, who took second and third, respectively. The Ephs also dominated the 500 yard free, taking the top four spots. Roberson again finished first, with a time of 4:56.11, while Goldstein, Stuart Horgan ’12, and Thompson took second, third, and fourth place.

Williams also took the top four spots in the 200 yard free, where Dan Doran ’12 proved a vital addition to the squad by taking first with a time of 1:47.78. Second, third and fourth place were nabbed by David Lebovitz ’09, Henry Blackford ’10 and John Guiffre ’12, respectively. In the 200 yard butterfly, Norman Scott ’09 came in first with a time of 1:57.53 and Horgan took second with a time of 1:59.75. Ben Wampler ’11 blasted Conn. College out of the water in the sprint events, taking first in both the 50 and 100 yard freestyle with times of 21.53 and 48.48. Tim Ryan ’09 also contributed to the Williams win, taking first in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 51.86.

For diving, Conn. College failed to post a team, but Alex Long ’12 earned respectable scores to place first in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events.

“Conn. College is kind of one of the rising stars in the NESCAC swim world,” Goldstein said. “The fact that we did well against them means that as the season goes on we’ll have a good chance of beating the established teams that are our rivals, specifically Tufts and Amherst.”

The Ephs will face Boston College and Fordham on Dec. 6.