House damage costs drop nominally

Despite the increasing costs of campus maintenance and repair, the total cost of damages to houses, first-year entries and co-ops is $2679, down from $2800 at this time last year.
Of the total damages tally, $1050 can be attributed to the cost of seven bio clean-ups while the remaining $1629 can be attributed to general student damages to College property such as furniture, doors and windows. These figures do not include any lost key and fire safety fines that may have occurred throughout the semester.

A broken window in Bronfman Science Center was the most expensive incident to take place on campus this semester. A student, however, came forward and took full responsibility for the damages, and paid the full $1458 fine.

Contrary to past semesters when unusual incidents have been reported – in 2005, for example, a vending machine was overturned and destroyed – so far, no major peculiar activity has taken place this fall.

“There hasn’t been anything out of the ordinary; some furniture damage and broken glass but nothing that unusual,” said Jean Thorndike, director of Campus Safety and Security.
Facilities allots money for house repairs based on the house’s damage cap, which is determined by multiplying the number of residents in the house by five dollars. If an individual student decides to take responsibility or is held accountable and found guilty by Campus Safety and Security for an incident, he or she must pay the full repair charges.

In cases when a culprit cannot be identified, however, repairs are paid using funds from the house’s damage cap. Once the damage cap for a house is exceeded, its residents are responsible for paying all subsequent costs, and until the residents pay off the entire bill, the house can no longer host registered parties.

Tyler Annex has suffered the most damages this semester as it has already exceeded its damage cap of $200. Its residents currently owe $538 to the College. In recent years, Tyler Annex, along with neighboring Tyler House, have both had the highest damage figures with Tyler House racking up $1216 last fall.

Despite this situation, however, this semester’s numbers continue a decreasing trend from the past few years in damage costs. Fifteen houses have seen no damages thus far. Bea Miles, director of Facilities, said that generally students have been taking greater responsibility in maintaining the buildings on campus.

“I’d like to thank the students,” Miles said. “It’s so nice to walk into a building at the end of the weekend and see that students are taking care of [it].”