Men’s, women’s indoor track and field aim high

Despite a new head coach and the loss of several strong seniors, men’s and women’s track and field nevertheless looks strong this season. The team has a tight bond and new Head Coach Fletcher Brooks has plenty of skilled athletes.

“As a program that is competitive and winning championships every year, we have attracted athletes capable of contributing right away,” Brooks said. “However, with such consistent senior leadership and performance, those first-years to juniors have time to develop and mature as athletes and teammates until their time to carry the load arrives.”

This talent will be an incredible asset to the team as the Ephs segue into the tough winter season. Even though this aptitude has translated into countless successes over the years, Brooks thinks that there is room for improvement and wants to build upon this talent and foster the “team spirit and mental attitude that has and always will be a part of every true champion,” he said. “In years past, our success at this task does not always show up in team results as we’ve won many championships with talented individuals. But it is my sincere hope that we become a program where the students put the team above themselves.”

If the teams can do this, they should have no trouble finding success. Both the men and the women are aiming for an undefeated regular season, which will prove a daunting task considering the plethora of talent in the NESCAC (rival Tufts is a particular threat) and talent on teams like MIT. In addition, the Ephs hope to win the New England Div. III championship, compete well against regional Div. I and II teams, and qualify as many athletes as possible in the NCAA championships.

These goals and the strong competition will only help the squads. “[The goals] definitely gives the team a sense of urgency and demand a concerted effort at creating team cohesiveness,” Brooks said. “It allows our developing athletes to shoot to contribute regionally and our top athletes a taste of championship competition that is absolutely necessary in order to be successful at the NCAA level.”