Men’s and women’s XC win ECAC championships

Once again, cross country raced to victory this past weekend as both the men and women won the ECAC championship. It was the second consecutive year the women have won ECACs and the fourth consecutive year for the men.

Similar to many teams at the meet, Williams raced its second-seven runners, meaning the 8th through 14th runners on the varsity squad. In going with this strategy, the team’s top seven runners on both the men and women’s side were able to rest their legs in preparation for the last two races of the season. Run at Colt State Park in Bristol Rhode Island, the men’s 8k race featured a field of 48 teams, and the women’s 6k a field of 42.

The men scored a total of 64 points to top second-place finisher Keene State (100 points) and third place Middlebury (144 points). Mark Springel ’12 finished fifth overall and was the first Eph across the line with a time of 26:38. Ryan Ford ’09, co-captain Brooks Udelsman ’09 and co-captain Steve Van Wert ’09 were the next Williams harriers, claiming places 13th to15th. Close behind them were David Carlin ’12 and Mike Geary ’11 who finished 17th and 18th overall. Tim Durham ’09 completed the triumphant Williams field of seven.

Further adding to the joy of victory was the men’s team’s reunion with their beloved mascot T-Bear. Having negotiated for the return of the bear with Wesleyan’s men’s team the previous night, a group of runners safely delivered the mascot to the meet on Saturday in time for the traditional bear toss.

The women’s team also turned in several great races, finishing with a team score of only 23 points. To call this performance domination is almost an understatement. In a field of nearly 300 runners, no Williams runner finished lower than 10th place. Elly Teitsworth ’10 won the overall race with a time of 23:33. Teitsworth was followed by Moria Yoe ’10, Robin Kuntz ’09, Julie McNamara ’09, Tina Meade ’11 and Mary Feely ’09. That group finished in places 4th through 8th, respectively. They were closely followed by Williams’ seventh runner Sarah Weber ’11 who took 10th place overall.

Next week Williams will host the Div. III New England Regional meet at Mt. Greylock High School. Both the men and women will be running their top seven racers, as they prepare for the NCAA Div. III championships in Hanover, Ind. on Nov. 22.