Off Center Series brings variety of talent to campus

In keeping with the tradition set by the highly successful Center Series, the ’62 Center for Theatre and Dance is now further diversifying the range of its offerings with the newly inaugurated Off Center Series of programming. By bringing professional artists in the fields of theater and dance to the Williams community, the ’62 Center gives students and residents of the Berkshires the chance to experience a broader range of unique and high-quality performances from a variety of genres.

The Series will kick off this Thursday with a late night performance by Taylor Mac, an award-winning actor, playwright and performance artist based in New York City. His one-man show, The Be(A)st of Taylor Mac, features elaborate makeup, costumes and gender-bending in a one-of-a-kind theatrical experience. Mac will perform just one show, this Thursday night at 10 p.m. in the Adams Memorial Theater, which is not to be missed.

The second event in the series is completely different – a stand-up comedy performance by up-and-coming entertainer Ahmed Ahmed. Ahmed’s many credits include appearances in feature films Iron Man, You Don’t Mess with the Zohan, and Swingers. He also received the first Richard Pryor Award at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival for his work, which focuses on political and racial stereotypes. He will perform in the Adams Memorial Theater on Nov. 13 at 10 p.m.

The last performance planned for this year’s installment of the Off Center Series is a rare treat – an exclusive duet performance by two members of acclaimed dance company Pilobolus. This intimate performance will bring audiences up close and personal to observe two of the company members interacting in Pilobolus’s signature style of physical contortions and gymnastics. This unique opportunity takes place on Feb. 20 at 10 p.m. in the ’62 Center’s Dance Studio.

All performances in the series are free to students, and a reception will take place after each show with the artists. Students and community members should certainly take advantage of this distinctive chance to experience the work of and even meet this amazing group of performers.