Women’s golf ties for 3rd place

Women’s golf concluded its fall campaign with a strong finish at its home invitational at Taconic Golf Club on Oct. 11 and 12. Because the team is 12 players deep, the Ephs entered the tournament with A and B squads, along with one individual player. Kait O’Brien ’10 is currently out due to injury. At the weekend’s end, the Williams A-team totaled a two-day score of 657 to tie for third with Mt. Holyoke College in a field of 13 teams. Middlebury took home the title with a score of 642 followed by St. Lawrence with a 654. Williams B notched a 10th place finish among the competition.

The tournament was played in perfect fall weather and the Ephs took advantage of the conditions. On Saturday the women were led by first-year Kristen Tubbs ’12 who fired a 77. Tubbs’ score was matched by two other players in the field but remained the best number for the day. Mary Gelber ’10 and co-captain Melissa Barton ’09 came in on the day with a 79 and 80, respectively. Rounding out the scoring for the Ephs was Anne O’Leary ’10 with an 89. The women’s strong play put them in a first-place tie with Middlebury with a score of 325. For the Williams B-squad, Lauren Anstey ’11 posted an 82 to lead on Day 1.

Although adding a few strokes to their Saturday total, the women continued their steady play into Sunday. The team posted a 332 and was led by Barton and O’Leary with matching 82s. Tubbs and Gelber posted 84s, followed by Kristin Nottebohm ’10 with an 88. On Day 2, the B-squad was led by Aimee Weber ’11, who notched an 85, Anstey with an 87 and Dale Markey ’11 with a 90.

In a field of 75 players, the squad had three players finish in the top 15; Tubbs grabbed fourth, Barton took seventh and Gelber placed 14th.

The team was excited to nab a top-three finish in their last tournament. “We have experienced some ups and downs throughout the season but we put it together this weekend,” said O’Leary. “And it was especially great to top Amherst, who we have been back and forth with throughout the fall season.”

O’Brien noted that the team knows it is capable of a first-place finish, which the women will aim for in the spring. The Ephs will return to competition when they travel south for spring break.